ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon football team had 466 yards of total offense, including 302 on the ground, in a 35-14 ODAC victory over Shenandoah on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 35, Shenandoah 14
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 5-1, 4-0 ODAC; Shenandoah 3-2, 2-2 ODAC
How it Happened:
- Following a scoreless first period, the Yellow Jackets took over on their own 29 on their first possession of the second quarter. After a 17-yard completion from sophomore Presley Egbers (Clifton, Va./Centreville) to freshman Tim Hanratty (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park), R-MC ran the ball seven straight times to reach the end zone. Senior Jordan Foster (Lynchburg, Va./Liberty Christian) went the final four yards as the Yellow Jackets took a 7-0 lead with 8:52 left until halftime. That would be the score at intermission.
- R-MC would take the opening kickoff of the second half and go 72 yards in eight plays for its second score. Egbers had a 26-yard run during the drive and Jordan Hall went in from two yards out as the Yellow Jackets went up 14-0 with 11:24 left in the third period.
- The Hornets put together their own scoring drive to make it 14-7 with 9:33 remaining in the third quarter. The teams traded punts and R-MC faced 4th-and-5 at their own 41. Freshman Gavin Stone (Leesburg, Va./Riverside) had his best punt of the day as his teammates downed the ball on the SU 3. On the Hornets' first play, junior linebacker Matthew Vergara (Chesterfield, Va./Benedictine) knocked the ball loose and sophomore linebacker Erik Harris (Carrollton, Va./Smithfield) recovered for a touchdown as the Yellow Jackets took a 21-7 lead with 4:16 left in the third.
- Early in the fourth period, SU drove to the R-MC 7. Senior Steve McNair (Elkridge, Md./Howard) and sophomore Jacob Hutchinson (Glen Allen, Va./Deep Run) combined on a sack as the Yellow Jackets took over on downs on their own 13. Egbers hit Foster on a 44-yard pass to spark an 8-play, 87-yard scoring drive. Sophomore quarterback Andrew Ihle (Apex, N.C./Middle Creek) barreled in from seven yards out to give the home team a 28-7 lead near the midway point of the final quarter.
- The Hornets added a second touchdown later, and Foster had the final score with a one-yard TD with 42 seconds left to make the final 35-14.
By The Numbers:
- Foster had 226 all-purpose yards. He had 100 yards rushing, 55 receiving and 71 on kickoff returns.
- Frederick rushed 21 times for 99 yards.
- Egbers completed 13 of 23 passes for 154 yards.
- Harris and senior cornerback De'Angelo Barr (Washington, D.C./Fairfax) both had seven tackles. Harris forced a fumble, recovered a fumble and had an interception.
For The Record:
- R-MC has won five straight games.
- The Yellow Jackets led in time of possession for the sixth straight game. R-MC had the ball for 36:26, including 20:30 in the second half and 11:11 in the final period.
- The R-MC defense picked up five turnovers, with three interceptions and two fumble recoveries.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Southern Virginia on Saturday, Oct. 19 for a 1 p.m. ODAC contest.