BRIDGEWATER, Va. – Senior quarterback Burke Estes (Wilmington, N.C./New Hanover) came off the bench to throw one touchdown and run for another as the Randolph-Macon football team dropped a 28-21 decision at No. 24 Bridgewater on Saturday afternoon, giving the Eagles the ODAC title.
Score: Bridgewater 28, Randolph-Macon 21
Location/Venue: Bridgewater, Va./Jopson Athletic Complex
Records: Randolph-Macon 7-2, 6-1 ODAC; Bridgewater 9-0, 7-0 ODAC
How it Happened:
- After each team had the ball for one possession, the Eagles put together a scoring drive, taking a 7-0 lead with 3:13 left in the first period. BC scored a touchdown early in the second quarter and another late in the period as the Eagles led 21-0 at halftime.
- On its second possession of the third quarter, the Yellow Jackets put together a 10-play, 74-yard scoring drive. Senior running back Tre Frederick (Angier, N.C./West Johnston) scored from three yards out to make it 21-7 with 5:24 remaining in the third period.
- Estes hit senior tight end Sam Tanner (Mechanicsville, Va./Lee-Davis) with an 18-yard TD pass to make it 21-13 with 9:33 left in the final period. The Eagles would quickly answer with their own touchdown, pushing the lead to 28-13 with 9:21 left. Estes would score on a four-yard run and complete a pass on the two-point conversion as the Yellow Jackets pulled with seven at 28-21 with 1:17 left. R-MC was not able to recover the onside kick and BC ran out the clock to secure the win.
By The Numbers:
- Estes completed 12 of 16 passes for 132 yards and one score.
- Senior wide receiver Trey Owens (Havelock, N.C./Havelock) had nine receptions for 79 yards.
- Frederick carried the ball 28 times for 112 yards.
- Senior Calvin Whitehead (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) paced the Yellow Jackets with nine tackles. He had one tackle for loss and one pass breakup.
For The Record:
- The Yellow Jackets had their seven-game win streak snapped.
- Randolph-Macon will conclude the regular season by hosting the traditional finale against Hampden-Sydney on Saturday, Nov. 16 at 1 p.m. for the 124th edition of The Game.