BRIDGEWATER, Va. – Freshman Catie Burnette (Williamsburg, Va. / Woodside) scored a pair of goals as Randolph-Macon field hockey got a conference victory over Bridgewater on Friday night. R-MC's third goal, scored by sophomore Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) was part of a penalty corner sequence, which has been key in scoring situations for R-MC this year.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Bridgewater 0
Location/Venue: Bridgewater, Va./Jopson Athletic Complex
Records: Randolph-Macon (4-7, 1-3 ODAC), Bridgewater (6-6, 3-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Bridgewater got some early chances. Freshman goalie Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) saved a shot about a minute and a half into the game. BC got a pair of penalty corners and another shot in before the 11 minute mark.
- R-MC had its own run of chances around the 12 minute mark. Sophomore Kathleen Tanner (Spotsylvania, Va. / Riverbend) tried a pair of penalty corners and freshman Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va. / Eastern View) had a shot blocked in the middle of the two corner chances.
- R-MC got its first goal as the first half was winding down. Burnette tapped a pass from sophomore Ayanna Healy (Newport News, Va. / Woodside) into the left post, where it landed in the cage and R-MC took the 1-0 lead into halftime.
- Burnette scored again about six minutes into the second period. She finished off a cross from Brookman on the right side, landing the goal and pushing the Yellow Jackets ahead 2-0.
- Ambrogi-Torres didn't wait long after the second goal to work her own magic. She slapped the ball in from just inside the circle after R-MC gained the penalty corner. Freshman Lindsay Moore (Ashland, Va. / Hanover) was credited with the assist for her work inserting the corner.
- Bridgewater had a few more chances through the 59th minute, as Snyder was put to work again on a shot by BC's Tessa Tierson and the Eagles had another pair of penalty corners, but the R-MC defense stood stout, preventing any scores in the team's first shutout of 2018.
Inside The Numbers
- Midfield and defensive work was the name of the game for the most part. Sophomores Georgia Drescher (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox), Erin Barringer (Catonsville, Md. / Indian Creek Upper School), Hannah Gourley (Annapolis, Md. / Broadneck), Mary Dodd (Alexandria, Va. / W.T. Woodson) along with Healy, Moore and Tanner worked through much of the midfield, handling much of the action for large portions of the game.
- Along with Snyder, R-MC's defense, made up of sophomores Megan May (Hayes, Va. / Gloucester), Claire Magill (Moseley, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) and freshmen Abby Sloan (Chester, Va. / Thomas Dale) and Sydney Duimstra (Montpelier, Va. / Deep Run) allowed just two shots in the second half.
- Snyder totaled five saves on the evening.
- Ambrogi-Torres led the team with three shots, with two coming on goal. Burnette scored on both of her shot chances, while Drescher, Healy, Brookman, sophomore Kaylene Thomas (Suffolk, Va. / Lakeland) and Sloan each had a shot in the game. Sloan's lone try came on goal. Sophomores Austyn Faries (Richmond, Va. / Monacan) and Madison McCoy (Fredericksburg, Va. / Stafford) also worked in the attacking third tonight.
Randolph-Macon will face Rhodes at 12:00 Noon on Sunday afternoon. The teams play at neutral site Mary Washington at the Battleground Athletic Complex. Directions are located HERE.