ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. – Randolph-Macon field hockey junior Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) drew the match even midway through the third quarter, but St. Mary's added a late goal to tally the win Wednesday afternoon.
Score: St. Mary's 2, Randolph-Macon 1
Location/Venue: St. Mary's City, Md./JLR Stadium
Records: St. Mary's (4-0), Randolph-Macon (2-2)
How It Happened
- Neither team found a rhythm in the first quarter. R-MC earned a penalty corner just moments into the match and St. Mary's got a shot off as well as a penalty corner late in the period, but the defenses held tough overall for the quarter.
- St. Mary's was able to find some opportunities in the second quarter. The Seahawks tallied five shots and five penalty corners in the frame. R-MC earned a penalty corner as well with junior Austyn Faries (Richmond, Va. / Monacan) inserting mid-way through the frame.
- St. Mary's opened the scoring in the third quarter with a goal in the 40th minute as Veronica Maring found the cage.
- Ambrogi-Torres didn't wait long to respond. About a minute later, she took a pass from fellow junior Maddie McCoy (Fredericksburg, Va. / Stafford) and slotted it to the back of the cage from the left side of the circle. It marked her fourth goal of the season.
- But St. Mary's would have the final word. The Seahawks got a score from Celina Kaufman in the 52nd minute, breaking the tie and ensuring the St. Mary's win.
Inside The Numbers
- Sophomore Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) played the entire match in the cage, earning seven saves.
- R-MC had a tough time on the attacking side of the field, earning just two penalty corners and one shot on goal compared to six penalty corners and nine on goal for SMC.
The Yellow Jackets return home to face Goucher on Saturday afternoon at 2:00 PM.