ASHLAND, Va. – Sophomore goalkeeper Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va./Powhatan) recorded 16 saves, including 10 in the first half, as the Randolph-Macon field hockey team dropped a 3-0 decision to Catholic on Wednesday evening on Day Field.
Score: Catholic 3, Randolph-Macon 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 3-3, Catholic 3-3
How it Happened
- Both teams had their defense on display in the first quarter. The Cardinals had three shots, all saved by Snyder. The Yellow Jackets had one shot.
- CUA broke through for a goal early in the second quarter. The Cardinals had an 11-1 advantage in shots in the second period but managed that lone goal. Snyder had seven saves, giving her 10 in the half.
- The Yellow Jackets had seven shots in the third period but could not score. CUA added a second goal in the 40th minute to make it 2-0. Snyder had four saves in the period.
- Both teams would put up four shots in the final quarter. The Cardinals added a third goal early in the fourth period. Snyder had two more saves in the fourth quarter.
By The Numbers
- CUA had a 26-13 edge in shots. Junior attack Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va./Trinity Episcopal) paced R-MC with four shots, while sophomore midfielder Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va./Eastern View) added three shots.
- R-MC did not have a penalty corner but had five in the third quarter and four in the fourth to hold a 9-8 edge for the contest.
Randolph-Macon will travel to Sweet Briar on Wednesday, Sept. 25 at 7 p.m. The game will be played at Amherst County High School.