ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon's midfield helped control the pace of the contest and even came up with a goal as Field Hockey turned the jets on in the second and third quarters en route to a two-goal victory Saturday night for homecoming in Ashland.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Roanoke 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (6-5, 2-1 ODAC), Roanoke (7-6, 0-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Early on, Roanoke seemed to have the edge. A couple of early shots gave way to the first goal of the game in the eighth minute. A rebounded shot found the stick of Claire Eisenhart, who made the conversion to send Roanoke ahead 1-0.
- But that was the end of Roanoke's offensive efforts for the first half. The Yellow Jackets controlled the pace of play from then forward, outshooting Roanoke in the first quarter 7-4 and shutting out the RC offense in the second quarter, allowing zero shots while taking five of their own.
- Randolph-Macon matched Roanoke's goal in the 20th minute. Junior Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) took a pass from Maddie McCoy (Fredericksburg, Va. / Stafford). The pass came from outside the arc and to the stick of Ambrogi-Torres who sent a shot towards goal where it escaped the defense and rolled in for a goal.
- Just two minutes later, Ambrogi-Torres broke the tie. She sent a rebounded shot back towards the cage, where it slipped past the defense and into the boards for the lead.
- The score remained locked for much of the third quarter. The Yellow Jackets got back on the board though with about a minute to play. Senior Liz Jacobs (Laurel, Md. / Atholton) inserted a penalty corner and then tipped the ball into the cage after Ambrogi-Torres sent a hard shot towards goal. Ambrogi-Torres was credited with the assist while Jacobs tallied her first goal of the year.
- The midfield took over for much of the second half, ensuring that Roanoke had very few chances in its attacking third. That preserved R-MC's 3-1 win.
Inside The Numbers
- The midfield group, made up of Jacobs, fellow senior Jessica Cooke (Williamsburg, Va. / Warhill), junior Katie Tanner (Spotsylvania, Va. / Riverbend) and sophomores Abby Sloan (Chester, Va. / Thomas Dale) and Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va. / Eastern View) worked to intercept passes constantly. The group also helped set up multiple fast-break chances, resulting in shots-on-goal.
- R-MC outshot Roanoke 16-11, including ten shots on goal.
- Sophomore Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) worked all 60 minutes in goal and made three saves.
- Sophomore Sydney Duimstra (Montpelier, Va. / Deep Run) corralled a defensive save in the contest.
- The Yellow Jackets earned nine penalty corners compared to Roanoke's three. R-MC worked to get quality shots off during those chances, including the one that scored.
Randolph-Macon travels to Shenandoah on Wednesday for a 6:00 PM Old Dominion Athletic Conference tilt.