WINCHESTER, Va – The Randolph-Macon Field Hockey team dropped a 4-1 match today against the Shenandoah Hornets in Winchester. Junior Ayanna Healy (Newport News, Va. / Woodside) scored the lone goal for the Yellow Jackets in the third quarter while Abby Sloan and Katie Tanner both added two shots on goal apiece. The Yellow Jackets return to action on Saturday the 19th in Lexington, Kentucky for a match against Centre.
Score: Shenandoah 4, Randolph-Macon 1
Location: Winchester, Va.
Records: Shenandoah 9-3, 2-1 ODAC, Randolph-Macon 6-6, 2-2 ODAC
How It Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets came out hot at the start of the second period with a shot on goal from junior Katie Tanner (Spotsylvania, Va. / Riverbend) which forced the goalie into a smart save.
- R-MC continued to test the Shenandoah goal with shots on goal coming in from junior Austyn Faries (Richmond, Va. / Monacan) and sophomore Abby Sloan (Chester, Va. / Thomas Dale).
- The Jackets pressure finally paid off in the third period as Ayanna Healy managed to smash a shot past the Shenandoah keeper off an assist from Tanner to make it 3-1.
- Into the 4th quarter the Yellow Jackets continued to push the Hornets as junior Claire McGill (Moseley, Va. / Trinity Episcopal) had a shot on goal as the pressure continued to mount. This was followed up by junior Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal) recording another shot on goal for R-MC in the 48th minute.
Inside the Numbers:
- Tanner and Sloan both led the way for the Yellow Jackets with two shots and two shots on goal. Four other Yellow Jackets recorded a shot on goal including Healy who scored the lone goal.
- R-MC recorded eight shots on goal to Shenandoah's seven throughout the course of the match.
- Senior goalie Katie Thompson (Burke, Va. / Lake Braddock) recorded three saves while sophomore Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) recorded one.
- Ambrogi-Torres was recognized by Synapse Sports this morning. The junior was named to the publications National weekly Honor Roll. She is also the reigning ODAC Player of the Week.
- The Yellow Jackets return to action on Saturday the 19th in Lexington, Kentucky for a match against Centre. They will also face Transylvania on Sunday the 20th at the same location.