LEXINGTON, Ky. – Randolph-Macon field hockey faced tough headwinds against nationally-ranked opponent Centre College Saturday afternoon. The Colonels bested the Yellow Jackets in a non-conference tilt hosted by neutral site Transylvania University.
Score: #16 Centre 7, Randolph-Macon 0
Location/Venue: Lexington, Kentucky/Transylvania University/Pat Deacon Stadium
Records: #16 Centre (13-0, 2-0 SAA), Randolph-Macon (6-7, 2-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Centre opened the game with a goal in the 10th minute. The Colonels added one more in the 14th minute. Both had assists from Caroline Brotzge.
- Randolph-Macon had its first great look at goal in the second quarter with about 30 seconds left in the period. Sophomore Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va. / Eastern View) got a shot off, but it was saved by the Centre keeper.
- Brotzge added another assist in the third frame as Centre added four goals in the third period.
- The Yellow Jackets got another solid chance near the cage in the final stages of the third frame. Junior Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal Schoo) took a shot with about ten seconds left, but it flowed high.
- R-MC had one last look at goal following a penalty corner in the fourth quarter. Senior Liz Jacobs (Laurel, Md. / Atholton) inserted a penalty corner, which led to a shot from junior Austyn Faries (Richmond, Va. / Monacan), but it was just wide.
- Centre closed the period with one more goal to settle the score at 7-0.
Inside The Numbers
- Senior goalkeeper Katie Thompson (Burke, Va. / Lake Braddock) earned the start and made ten saves in goal. Sophomore Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) played nearly 20 minutes and also made a pair of saves.
- R-MC earned four penalty corners on the day.
Randolph-Macon will face host Transylvania University tomorrow. The match will begin at 12:00 Noon.