VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – Sophomore Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va. / Eastern View) scored twice, but it was her second goal, which came with less than a minute to go, that earned Randolph-Macon Field Hockey a win over Old Dominion Athletic Conference foe Virginia Wesleyan on Halloween night.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Virginia Wesleyan 2
Location/Venue: Virginia Beach, Va./Birdsong Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (9-8, 4-3 ODAC), Virginia Wesleyan (5-12, 2-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Offense was at a premium early on, as both teams saw great defensive and midfield play. For the Yellow Jackets, midfielders Austyn Faries (Richmond, Va. / Monacan), Jessica Cooke (Williamsburg, Va. / Warhill), Liz Jacobs (Laurel, Md. / Atholton) and Katie Tanner (Spotsylvania, Va. / Riverbend) helped keep VWU at bay while defenders Claire Magill (Moseley, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School), Sydney Duimstra (Montpelier, Va. / Deep Run) and Kendall Lewis (Suffolk, Va. / Lakeland) allowed just a single shot to the Marlins in the first frame. Offensively, R-MC earned a shot in the fifth minute as Brookman launched one towards the cage, but it was saved.
- VWU earned another two shots in the second frame. One shot off the stick of Elizabeth Roberto found the boards in the back of the cage with just about a minute to go in the period. The opportunity came after a penalty corner. VWU had the 1-0 halftime advantage.
- The offenses began to take over as the second half began. Virginia Wesleyan and specifically Roberto, earned a second goal. But the Yellow Jackets responded quickly. After a penalty corner just moments after VWU's score, Brookman slotted a goal into the cage, assisted by Jacobs, who inserted. Brookman had another close call just moments later, but one of her shots hit the post. Junior Ayanna Healy (Newport News, Va. / Woodside) had another shot on target in the 42nd minute, but it was saved.
- Randolph-Macon evened the score in the fourth period with about six minutes to go. Jacobs inserted a penalty corner that allowed the Yellow Jackets to get three quality shots off by Magill, Healy and Tanner. VWU's keeper saved the first two, but Tanner's landed in the middle of the cage after a Healy's shot rebounded off the keeper, making the game square at 2-2.
- But it was again a Jacobs-to-Brookman link-up that ended the game. With just over 30 seconds to go, Jacobs inserted a penalty corners. Brookman then fired the shot from the top of the arc and it sailed to the left of the VWU keeper, giving R-MC the eventual game winner as the Yellow Jackets won 3-2.
Inside The Numbers
- Sophomore goalkeeper Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) earned the win as she made three saves.
- Randolph-Macon outshot VWU 8-6 in the second half.
- The Yellow Jackets made use of seven penalty corners on the evening. The penalty corner situations were key as all three of R-MC's goal sequences began on a corner.
- Brookman led the Yellow Jackets with four shots.
- Jacobs now leads the team with six assists on the season.
- The midfield group of Faries, Tanner, Jacobs as well as Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va./Trinity), helped control the pace of play throughout the entire second half, dispossessing the Marlins offense and keeping the ball out of the R-MC defending third.
- The defending unit of Lewis, Duimstra and Magill helped prevent quality chances for the Marlins' offense, especially in the late stages of the fourth quarter.
Randolph-Macon will close out the regular season with a match against Ferrum on Saturday evening at 6:00 PM in Ashland. The Yellow Jackets will celebrate Senior Day and will honor a trio of graduating team members prior to the contest.