ASHLAND, Va. – Junior Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va./Trinity) scored a goal in each half, but fifth-seeded Roanoke recorded a player-up goal in overtime to edge the fourth-seeded Randolph-Macon field hockey team 3-2 on Tuesday afternoon in the quarterfinals of the 2019 ODAC Tournament.
Score: #5 Roanoke 3, #4 Randolph-Macon 2 OT
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 10-9, Roanoke 12-7
How It Happened
- The Maroons recorded the first goal of the game in the fifth minute. The Yellow Jackets would get the equalizer late in the first period. Sophomore Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va./Eastern View), the reigning ODAC Player of the Week, had a shot that was saved. Ambrogi-Torres put in the rebounded shot to make it 1-1 with 1:47 left in the first quarter.
- RC had two penalty corners and six shots in the first four minutes of the second period but could not record the go-ahead goal. Ambrogi-Torres had a shot in the 21st minute that was saved. The Yellow Jackets had their first penalty corner with 20 seconds left until halftime but could not get a shot as the scored remained 1-1 at intermission. RC had a 10-6 advantage in shots, but both teams had four shots on goal. Sophomore Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va./Powhatan) had three first-half saves for R-MC.
- R-MC had three penalty corners and six shots in the first six minutes of the second half, the sixth going in off the stick of Ambrogi-Torres on a rebounded shot to give R-MC a 2-1 lead with 9:15 remaining in the third quarter. The Yellow Jackets would add four more shots in the period but would not be able to add to their lead.
- The Maroons had the first five shots of the fourth quarter, the fifth going in to tie the game at 2-2. R-MC had a shot go in off a penalty corner with 2:27 left in regulation that was disallowed by the north end official. The Yellow Jackets would have two more penalty corners and two more shots on goal but could not break the deadlock.
- R-MC was the aggressor at the start of overtime. The Yellow Jackets had the first three shots, including two on goal. Following three Maroon shots, R-MC had two penalty corners and two shots on goal by Brookman. With 4:59 left in the first overtime period, the north end official delivered his fifth card against a Yellow Jacket player, this one a yellow card. Roanoke used the advantage to score the game-winning goal two minutes later.
By The Numbers
- R-MC held a 25-21 advantage in shots, including 19-9 for shots on goal. RC had a 10-6 edge in first-half shots, but the Yellow Jackets had a 10-0 shot differential in the third period. The Maroons had a 5-4 margin in the fourth quarter and 6-5 margin in overtime. Brookman and Ambrogi-Torres both had eight shots, while junior Austyn Faries (Richmond, Va./Monacan) added five.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va./Powhatan) recorded six saves, including two in the fourth period and one in overtime.
- The Yellow Jackets held an 11-6 advantage in penalty corners, including 8-2 in the second half and 2-1 in overtime.
- R-MC finished the season with a 10-9 record. The careers also concluded for seniors Jessica Cooke (Williamsburg, Va./Warhill), Elizabeth Jacobs (Laurel, Md./Atholton) and Katie Thompson (Burke, Va./Lake Braddock).