LEXINGTON, Va. – Junior guard Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) put up season highs with 23 points and nine rebounds, and freshman Miles Mallory (Beltsville, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti) grabbed nine boards and had a season-high 18 points, as the 24th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team recorded a 79-68 victory at Washington and Lee in the ODAC opener for both teams.
Score: Randolph-Macon 79, Washington and Lee 68
Location/Venue: Lexington, Va./Duchossois Tennis Center
Records: R-MC 5-0, 1-0 ODAC; W&L 2-2, 0-1 ODAC
How it Happened:
- Sophomore Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) hit a three-pointer 20 seconds into the contest before a trey by the Generals quickly tied it at 3-3. Anthony had two free throws and a jumper in a 9-0 spurt as R-MC went up 12-3 with 16:24 left in the first period. Following a pair of foul shots by W&L, Anthony had a three-pointer in another 9-0 run as the lead grew to 16 at 21-5 with 12:15 remaining in the first half. The Generals used a 12-4 run to cut the deficit in half at 25-17. Senior Korey Turner (Midlothian, Va./Amelia Academy) had a layup, stole the inbounds pass and hit Anthony for a trey as R-MC went up 32-18 with 5:30 remaining. Juniors Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) and David Funderburg (Greensboro, N.C./Northwest Guilford) both had two buckets along with a three-point play by Mallory as part of an 11-1 run as the Yellow Jackets built a 22-point lead at 43-21 with 2:25 left. Robertson hit a late trey to give the visitors a 48-25 lead at intermission. R-MC shot 52% and held W&L to 30% shooting from the floor. The Yellow Jackets had a 22-16 edge on the boards. Anthony had 16 points, seven rebounds and four assists in the first 20 minutes for the Yellow Jackets.
- W&L tallied the first seven points of the second half before a pair of layups by Mallory pushed the lead back to 20 at 52-32. After three free throws by the Generals, Mallory hit a jumper to make it 54-35 with 14:45 left in the second period. W&L cut it to eight at 56-48 before layups by Funderburg and Anthony followed by a jumper by Mallory made it 62-48 midway through the second half. The Generals closed within 10 before a pair of free throws by Mallory, a jumper by Turner and a three-pointer by freshman Josh Talbert (Virginia Beach, Va./Kellam) following a turnover gave R-MC a 74-57 lead with six minutes left. Mallory had a late free throw and layup as the Yellow Jackets recorded a 79-68 win.
By The Numbers:
- R-MC shot 45% from the floor and held W&L to 32%. The Generals hit just 27% from beyond the arc (9 for 33).
- Anthony went 7 for 13 from the floor, 3 for 4 on three-pointers and 6 for 7 from the free throw line for his 23 points.
- Mallory was 7 for 12 on field goals and 4 for 6 from the foul line for 18 points. Four of his nine rebounds were on the offensive end.
- Woods finished with nine points and Funderburg went 4 for 4 for a season-best eight points.
- Robertson had seven rebounds and Talbert grabbed six.
- Anthony and Woods both had five assists, while Woods added five steals.
For The Record
- W&L was the first opponent to score more than 50 points against R-MC this season.
- The Yellow Jackets have won 10 of the past 12 meetings with the Generals.
- Randolph-Macon will play at Hampden-Sydney on Saturday, Nov. 23 at 2 p.m. in a non-conference contest.