ASHLAND, Va. – Freshman Miles Mallory (Beltsville, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti) recorded his second double-double with a season-high 21 points and matching his season best with 10 rebounds as the ninth-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team used a 13-point run late in the first half to defeat No. 18 Christopher Newport 79-62 on Saturday afternoon in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Randolph-Macon 79, Christopher Newport 62
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 9-0, CNU 7-3
How it Happened:
- The Captains had the first two buckets of the game before jumpers by senior guard Korey Turner (Midlothian, Va./Amelia Academy) and junior guard Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) tied the score at 4-4. A layup by junior forward David Funderburg (Greensboro, N.C./Northwest Guilford) gave the Yellow Jackets their first lead at 8-7 with 14:35 remaining in the first half. CNU led 16-14 before a jumper by junior guard Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) and a three-pointer by sophomore guard Daquan Morris (Philadelphia, Pa./Hill School) put R-MC on top 19-16 with eight minutes left in the first period. The Captains had a layup with 6:55 remaining to take a 21-19 lead. That would be the final field goal of the half for CNU. The Yellow Jackets scored 13 straight points to take a 32-21 advantage with 1:30 left. Sophomore forward Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) had a layup and a trey to highlight the run. The Captains hit a pair of free throws before a layup by Woods with 8.9 seconds remaining to make it 34-23 at the break. Woods paced R-MC with eight points, while Robertson added seven.
- Freshman Miles Mallory (Beltsville, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti) hit four straight shots as R-MC went up 47-33 with 14:30 left in the second half. Anthony hit two jumpers and four free throws as the Yellow Jackets took a 55-41 advantage with 9:15 remaining. Mallory had a steal and a layup as the lead grew to 22 at 76-54 with 2:20 left. R-MC would eventually register the 79-62 victory.
By The Numbers:
- The Yellow Jackets had three score in double figures. Mallory went 9 for 13 from the floor and 3 for 4 from the free throw line for his 21 points. Anthony went 7 for 8 on free throws as part of his 18 points. Woods was 5 for 7 from the field for 10 points.
- R-MC shot 42% from the floor in the first half (15-36) and 68% in the second half (17-25) for 52.5% for the game (32-61).
- R-MC had 15 assists and just seven turnovers. Turner and Anthony both had four assists.
- The Yellow Jacket defense forced 18 CNU turnovers and held the Captains to 40% shooting from the floor (22-55). Freshman Josh Talbert (Virginia Beach, Va./Kellam) paced the victors with three and Mallory had two to go along with four blocks.
For The Record
- R-MC snapped a seven-game losing streak against CNU.
- The Yellow Jackets have held eight opponents to 40% shooting or less.
- R-MC head coach Josh Merkel recorded his 150th win in his ninth season as a head coach.
- Randolph-Macon will host the R-MC Coaches Tournament on Dec. 29-30. On Sunday, Dec. 29, Dickinson will face Rowan at 2 p.m., followed by the Yellow Jackets against Lebanon Valley at 4 p.m. On Monday, Dec. 30, the consolation game will be played at 2 p.m. and the championship game will follow at 4 p.m.