ASHLAND, Va. – Sophomore Miles Mallory (Beltsville, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti) led all scorers with 16 points and senior Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) added 15 as the top-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team defeated second-ranked Trine 69-55 on Sunday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 69, Trine 55
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 12-0, Trine 17-1
How it Happened:
- After a steal and layup by sophomore Josh Talbert (Virginia Beach, Va./Kellam) started the scoring, the Thunder had the next two buckets to enjoy their only lead of the game. Mallory scored in the paint to spark a 12-0 run, capped by a pair of free throws by sophomore Loginn Norton (Chesterfield, Va./James River) as the Yellow Jackets took a 14-4 advantage with 13:40 left in the first half. Trine trimmed the deficit to six before a three-pointer by Anthony ignited a 12-2 spurt as the home team went up 28-12 with 6:25 remaining. The Thunder closed to within nine at 32-23 before Anthony and Mallory contributed baskets in a 4-1 finish as the Yellow Jackets led 36-24 at the break. Mallory had 12 first-half points, while Anthony put up nine.
- Triples by Anthony and junior Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) bookended a 10-0 start to the second half as R-MC assumed a 46-24 advantage three minutes in. The Yellow Jackets were able to maintain a double-digit lead until a Trine trey cut it to nine at 61-52 with 4:25 remaining. A driving layup by Mallory followed by a steal and layup by Talbert pushed the advantage back to 13 at 65-52 with two minutes left. Talbert had another layup and a dunk by Robertson put an exclamation points on the 69-55 victory.
By The Numbers:
- R-MC had four score in double figures. Along with 16 by Mallory and 15 by Anthony, Robertson had 14 off the bench and Talbert tallied a dozen.
- The Yellow Jackets shot 57% from the floor (28-49). R-MC shot 67% on field goals in the first half (14-21).
- R-MC held a 28-23 edge on the boards. Mallory, Anthony and Talbert each grabbed six.
- The Yellow Jackets had 20 assists on their 28 field goals. Talbert had six assists, while Anthony dished out five.
- Talbert also topped the team with four steals, while Anthony had three.
- Mallory had two of R-MC's four blocks.
For The Record:
- R-MC set a program record with its 33rd consecutive home victory. It is the longest current streak in Division III.
- The Yellow Jackets recorded their first win over a team from the state of Indiana.
- R-MC held Trine to its lowest point total of the season.
- Anthony has 1,427 career points, good for 14th on R-MC's all-time list.
- Anthony has 562 career assists and 187 career steals, both third on R-MC's all-time lists.