ASHLAND, Va. – Freshman Anthony Ivanov (North Brunswick, N.J./Immaculata) recorded a shutout and registered seven saves in his first collegiate start, including a potential game-saver in the 60th minute, as the Randolph-Macon men's soccer team nipped Virginia Wesleyan 1-0 in a non-conference contest on Friday evening. Freshman Adoniyas Reynolds (Springfield, Va./Paul VI) was outstanding in the midfield and sophomore midfielder Colton Howell (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) was a difference-maker off the bench for the Yellow Jackets.
Score: Randolph-Macon 1, Virginia Wesleyan 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Soccer Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 4-3, Virginia Wesleyan 1-5
How it Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets had the first scoring chance six minutes into the contest as sophomore forward Penny Senior (Kingston, Jamaica/Meadowbrook) directed a shot to the bottom left corner that was saved by the Marlins. Howell entered in the 18th minute and provided a spark for the Yellow Jackets. R-MC had a free kick just outside the box in the 21st minute, but the shot by senior midfielder Anthony Astruc (Glen Allen, Va./Benedictine) went high to keep the match scoreless. The play was even throughout the first 45 minutes, sitting at 0-0 at intermission. The Yellow Jackets held a 5-4 edge in shots and had the only corner of the first period. Ivanov had a pair of saves in the first half.
- R-MC had the first scoring chance in the second half, as a shot by sophomore midfielder Jake Miklovich (Alexandria, Va./Bishop Ireton) went high. Ivanov would come up with a save in the 50th minute to keep the match scoreless. Sophomore midfielder Judge Morgan (Okinawa, Japan/Kubasaki) fed Senior with a great ball at the far post. Senior's header was saved in the 56th minute. Ivanov made a great leaping one-handed save on a rocket from just outside the box in the 60th minute, the best scoring chance for the Marlins. VWU fired a shot in the 68th minute that was just over the crossbar.
- Junior forward Ruben Niamien (Fredericksburg, Va./Chancellor) drew a penalty in the box in the 70th minute. Senior sent the penalty kick into the net to give the home team a 1-0 edge. A short free kick by the Marlins later in the 70th minute went wide left. VWU kept the pressure on as a header went just high in the 72nd minute. R-MC committed a foul just outside the box on the left side in the 79th minute. VWU was not able to convert on the free kick. A save by Ivanov gave the Marlins another corner kick. The Yellow Jacket defense was able to keep VWU from scoring. The Marlins had three shots in the final six minutes, but R-MC held on for the 1-0 victory.
By The Numbers:
- Ivanov finished with seven saves, including five in the second half. Ivanov and the R-MC defense, led by Morgan, senior Josh Beeker (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air), sophomore Jason Nunez (Springfield, Va./Bishop O'Connell) and freshman Max Radosavljevic (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Cumberland Valley), gave the Yellow Jackets their second shutout of the season.
- R-MC finished with 13 shots, including eight in the second half. Senior topped the victors with five shots, including three on goal. Howell and Astruc both had two shots for the Yellow Jackets.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Hampden-Sydney on Saturday, Sept. 28 for a 7 p.m. ODAC contest.