HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, Va. – Randolph-Macon Men's Soccer fell in its conference opener Saturday night as the Yellow Jackets faced Old Dominion Athletic Conference foe Hampden-Sydney.
Score: Hampden-Sydney 4, Randolph-Macon 0
Location/Venue: Hampden-Sydney, Va./Hellmuth-Gibson Field
Records: Hampden-Sydney (5-5, 1-0 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (4-4, 0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- R-MC got its first solid look at goal in the 19th minute. Senior Paul Duffy (Salem, Va. / Salem) sent a shot in that required the H-SC goalie to go in action for the save.
- H-SC earned its first goal of the evening with a goal in the 26th minute.
- R-MC had two big opportunities back-to-back. Freshman Penny Senior (Kingston, Jamaica / Meadowbrook) struck a shot in the 35th minute that missed right. Moments later, Duffy hit another one that missed to the opposite side.
- H-SC opened the second half with a goal in the 53rd minute.
- Sophomore Judge Morgan (Okinawa, Japan / Kubasaki) took a look at goal and forced the Tigers' goalie into action again in the 61st minute. Morgan took another try at goal moments later, but missed high.
- The Tigers earned their third goal of the night with a shot in the 69th minute. H-SC closed the game out with a goal in the final seconds of the match.
- R-MC junior Ruben Niamien (Fredericksburg, Va. / Chancellor) took a shot-on-goal in the final minutes of the game as well. He got a chance in the 87th minute, but H-SC's keeper was able to control it for the save.
Inside The Numbers
- Freshman Anthony Ivanov (North Brunswick, N.J. / Immaculata) made four saves as he worked the entire match in goal for the Yellow Jackets.
- Duffy was all over the field, serving in both a defensive and offensive role, leading the Yellow Jackets in all facets of the game.
- The Yellow Jackets outearned corner kicks away from the Tigers 5-4, but earned them all in the first half.
Randolph-Macon will face Roanoke in one week. The Yellow Jackets kick-off against the Maroons on Saturday, October 5 at 7:00 PM at the R-MC Soccer Field.