LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Randolph-Macon Men's soccer team fell 4-0 to the Lynchburg Hornets tonight in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest. Junior Ruben Niamien (Fredericksburg, Va. / Chancellor) and sophomore Penny Senior (Kingston, Jamaica / Meadowbrook) led the way offensively for the Yellow Jackets.
Score: Lynchburg 4, Randolph-Macon 0
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./Shellenberger Field
Records: Lynchburg (4-3-4, 1-0-1 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (4-6, 0-3 ODAC)
How it Happened
- It was an up-and-down game early with Lynchburg working the ball down the wings and the Yellow Jackets playing through the middle. Senior Josh Beeker (Bel Air, Md. / Bel Air) and sophomore Jake Miklovic (Alexandria, Va. / Bishop Ireton) linked up play well in the midfield to push Randolph-Macon forward in the early portions of the match.
- Freshman keeper Anthony Ivanov (North Brunswick, N.J. / Immaculata) made some crucial saves early, thwarting the Hornets attack. Fellow freshman Elijiah Lloyd (Roanoke, Va. / North Cross) along with Beeker were strong in defense early breaking up play and making key interceptions.
- Lynchburg picked up a goal off a corner that glanced off the bar before trickling over the line just out of the grasp of Ivanov.
- Senior was the attacking outlet for the Jackets, driving into the box and looking to cut the ball back across the face of goal for his teammates to run on to. His strike partner, Niamien, had a great chance in the 30th minute as a ball was swung back in off a corner and Niamien managed to get his head to it forcing a good save out of the Lynchburg keeper.
- In the 41st minute, Beeker hit an in-swinging corner that forced the Lynchburg keeper to tip the ball over the bar as the Jackets threatened again.
- Lynchburg grabbed a second goal, but Randolph-Macon pushed early in the second half, continuing to force corners as Senior fired a shot over the bar on the swivel. Sophomore Colton Howell (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) scuffed a shot that went out for a corner and the ensuing corner was dangerous as the Jackets continued to threaten the Lynchburg goal.
- Niamien had a shot deflected that looped over the top of the bar in the 58th minute as the Yellow Jackets continued to test the Lynchburg defense and keeper.
- Freshman Sammy Beitz (Chesterfield, Va. / Clover Hill) forced a save from the Hornets keeper in the 84th minute.
By the Numbers
- Senior and Niamien led the way with two shots each for the Yellow Jackets. Niamien and Beitz both recorded shots on goal.
- Ivanov recorded three saves over the course of the first half while junior Luke Messick (Hampton, Va. / Kecoughtan) recorded two saves in the second half.
- Randolph-Macon racked up 10 corners to Lynchburg's three.
- The Yellow Jackets hit the road this weekend for a match against Eastern Mennonite on Saturday, which is a 7 PM kickoff. The team returns home next week on Wednesday, October 16th to face Bridgewater at 7:00 PM.