ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon's senior class dominated Saturday afternoon's contest, controlling possession and offering four assists on the day as the Yellow Jackets earned a third shutout of the season on Senior Day against the Emory & Henry Wasps.
Score: Randolph-Macon 6, Emory & Henry 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Soccer Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (7-6, 3-3 ODAC), Emory & Henry (6-7-2, 0-5-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon's first great opportunity came around the 13th minute. Sophomore Colton Howell (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) expertly inserted a corner kick that was headed towards goal by senior Josh Beeker (Bel Air, Md. / Bel Air). E&H earned the save, but R-MC had the Wasps on the ropes.
- In the 21st minute, the Yellow Jackets converted that pressure into a goal. Junior AJ Casarez (Virginia Beach, Va. / Landstown) slid a ball through the defense and sophomore Judge Morgan (Okinawa, Japan / Kubasaki) picked the ball up and beat the entire Wasps' defense for the goal into the bottom right corner. Sophomore Jason Nunez (Springfield, Va. / Bishop O'Connell) also earned an assist on the play.
- The Yellow Jackets dominated possession in the first half, with Beeker running the wing and serving balls into the middle over-and-over again. He, along with freshman Penny Senior (Kingston, Jamaica / Meadowbrook) and senior Anthony Astruc (Glen Allen, Va. / Benedictine) controlled much of the pace of play, running the R-MC offense in the attacking third.
- In the 43rd minute, Senior got three shots off after getting into great position and finishing off a trio of tremendous passes from Beeker and Morgan. Two of the three were saved with the last slipping by just wide of the post. The score remained 1-0 at the half.
- The Yellow Jackets opened the half on an offensive streak. Howell netted a goal following a throw-in from Beeker. Senior took the header from Beeker and put it down to Howell's feet just outside the 6-yard box. There, Howell nailed the shot into the lower right corner to make it 2-0.
- R-MC's next goal came from a set piece as well. In the 54th minute, Howell delivered the ball from a corner kick. The pass found Duffy and he headed it down to Senior, who finished the goal. It marked Senior's fifth goal of the season, while Howell and Duffy each earned an assist.
- In the 56th minute, R-MC got on the board again. Astruc passed through the E&H defense to Morgan on the right side of goal. Morgan powered a shot into the upper right corner, finishing R-MC's fourth goal of the game.
- In the 68th minute, junior Olo Sembera (Lima, Peru / George Mason) scored just moments after coming in off the bench. He took a corner kick from Astruc and netted it into top right corner to tally R-MC's fifth goal. Astruc earned his second assist in a row on the play.
- Sembera finished out the contest with a goal in the 84th minute. He took a pass and beat an E&H defender across the box, nailing a shot on the run in the process. R-MC settled the final at 6-0.
Inside The Numbers
- Nunez controlled the defensive third with good vision from the back line as well as dominated passes in-the-air.
- Sophomore Jake Miklovic (Alexandria, Va. / Bishop Ireton) was also critical to grabbing passes in the air through the midfield and defending third, playing physically against his opponents. He came in from the bench, providing needed energy and drive.
- Morgan and Casarez remained important pieces to R-MC's midfield game plan, grabbing first and second balls and using skillwork to avoid defenders while also stealing away E&H's offensive opportunities.
- Freshman Bogue Cummings (Midlothian, Va. / Midlothian) worked through the midfield in the late stages of the game, stealing away possession and controlling the ball as R-MC finished out the win.
- Freshman Elijah Lloyd (Roanoke, Va. / North Cross) proved critical in the few chances E&H got in it's attacking half as Lloyd booted the ball away nearly every time.
- R-MC outshot E&H 29-1. The Wasps' one shot was not on goal, so freshman keeper Anthony Ivanov (North Brunswick, N.J. / Immaculata) was never called into action, but did earn the shutout and win. Junior Mike Deal (Cinnaminson, N.J. / Cinnaminson) also earned 16 minutes in goal and was kept clean in the process.
Randolph-Macon's eight seniors were recognized after the game. Duffy, Astruc and Beeker were joined by Matt Whelan (Elkridge, Md. / Mount St. Joseph), Christian Torres (Stafford, Va. / C.D. Hylton), Enrique Dubon (Woodbridge, Va. / C.D. Hylton), Manny Ament (Manassas, Va. / Hylton) and Isaac Myers (Littlestown, Pa./Gettysburg Area). The eight have been a part of one of the most successful four-year periods in R-MC history. Ament and Whelan both earned minutes on the field today as well. Ament was dangerous up and down the flank from the right back spot, while Whelan has some threatening moments in the box and played along the left wing, making offensive chances happen.
Randolph-Macon will travel to Gettysburg on Tuesday for a 5:00 PM contest. This game was moved from a scheduled Monday afternoon contest. R-MC returns to Old Dominion Athletic Conference play next Saturday with a trip to Ferrum.