ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon Men's Volleyball closed out its home slate in its inaugural season with a home conference match with Juniata Saturday afternoon. R-MC hit over .200 in the second two sets and had three players hit over .300 on the afternoon.
Score: Juniata 3, Randolph-Macon 0 (25-18, 25-19, 25-20)
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: Juniata (18-4, 8-2 CVC), Randolph-Macon (10-14, 4-7 CVC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon got the early edge. Freshman Scotty Carter (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox) made the first kill of the afternoon and was followed by junior Lee Olenyik (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover). Olenyik made his second kill as part of the 6-1 run as well; but Juniata climbed back and was able to score ties at each point from 7-10. At the 10-10 tie, Juniata started a 9-3 run that set them in front by four. R-MC couldn't put together a run as Juniata won 25-18.
- Juniata got the first lead of the second set, getting in front 4-1. The teams traded points to an 8-7 JC advantage, but the Eagles took four in a row to setup a cushion. The edge helped Juniata keep the lead through the rest of the set. R-MC got six of the last eight points, but the set point went to JC in the 25-19 victory.
- Juniata secured an early lead with a 6-0 run after the early 2-2 tie. Carter made a trio of kills midway through the frame, helping cut the Juniata lead to just four. But an Eagle run of 5-1 helped keep Juniata ahead. Randolph-Macon got a kill from Olenyik, freshman Dayne Iverson (Pasco, Wash./Chiawana) and a service ace from fellow freshman Kyle Alberici (Cicero, N.Y. / Cicero North Syracuse) which helped R-MC get as close as four in the later stages. Olenyik also tallied a service ace and made a kill late to cut the lead to three, but Juniata was able to win the set and match 25-20.
Inside The Numbers
- Olenyik finshed with 12 kills on 28 attacks with just three errors for a hitting percentage of .321. He along with freshman Merrick Gessler (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox) and Alberici hit over .300 on the day. Carter made six kills as well.
- Junior Brian Stephen (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) made 15 assists on the game.
- Stephen along with freshman Connor Logan (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) made team-high seven digs each.
- Iverson made three blocks at the net on the game. Olenyik and freshman Lenny Sampson, Jr. (Chesapeake, Va./Indian River) each made two blocks.
R-MC will travel to Ohio for a Thursday evening matchup at Wittenberg at 7:00 PM. The team then travels to Hiram for a 6:00 PM contest on Friday to close out the season.