WINCHESTER, Va. – Seniors Savannah Wood (Tappahannock, Va. / Essex) and Brittany LaPrade (Quinton, Va. / New Kent) each had five RBIs on the afternoon as Randolph-Macon softball swept Shenandoah University in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action Saturday afternoon. Senior Candace Whittemore (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) earned the win in both games.
Game 1: Randolph-Macon 10, Shenandoah 1 (5 Innings)
Game 2: Randolph-Macon 7, Shenandoah 2
Location/Venue: Winchester, Va./Henkel-Harris Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (17-10, 6-6 ODAC), Shenandoah (14-15, 5-7 ODAC)
How It Happened – Game One
- Senior Kerstin Roth (Yorktown, Va. / Grafton) led the first inning off with a walk and promptly stole second. She was sent home by junior Maddie Stone (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen). Wood then tallied the first of her RBIs for the day with a groundout that scored Stone. After the Yellow Jackets put another runner on, junior Shelby Hill (Mechanicsville, Va. / St. Margaret's) singled through the right side to score senior Whittemore.
- Shenandoah answered with a run in the bottom of the first inning, which left R-MC with a 3-1 lead heading into the second inning.
- R-MC scored again in the third inning. Wood singled and stole second, putting her in scoring position for LaPrade to hit her home with a single through the left side. LaPrade then came home as Whittemore singled down the right field line.
- R-MC added four in the top of the fourth inning. R-MC loaded the bases early with junior Taylor Sanderford (Mechanicsville, Va. / Atlee) earning a base on an error and Roth and Stone each hitting singles. Wood grounded out, but scored freshman Isabella Brooks (Fredericksburg, Va. / Massaponax), who handled running duties for Sanderford. LaPrade then brought in Stone and Roth with a double to left center. Whittemore earned a walk and senior Sarah Cimring (Chesapeake, Va. / Great Bridge) replaced LaPrade on the basepaths. Cimring scored when junior Sami Davidson (Stafford, Va. / Brooke Point) hit her home with a single to left field to give R-MC a 9-1 lead.
- The Yellow Jackets added one more in the top of the fifth inning. Stone was hit by a pitch and came around to score as Wood tripled to left center with two outs.
- Whittemore struck two batters out and forced a flyout in the bottom of the fifth, ending the game with the 10-1 for the Yellow Jackets.
Inside The Numbers – Game One
- Whittemore earned the win, going the complete game and striking out six while allowing just one walk and three hits.
- Stone hit 2-3 and LaPrade went 3-4 on the afternoon.
- LaPrade and Wood each had three RBIs, while Stone scored three runs.
- Wood was 2-4 with a run scored.
- Whittemore stole two bases while Wood, Roth and Hill each stole one.
- Roth scored a run and earned a walk.
How It Happened – Game Two
- R-MC started the offense early once again. Roth singled to lead off the first inning. She was moved to second by Stone on a sacrifice bunt. R-MC earned another baserunner as Wood was safe on an SU error, though only Roth came home in the inning. She crossed the plate as LaPrade sent a sacrifice fly to right field.
- Shenandoah responded with a run in the bottom of the first, scoring on a single through the left side. The Hornets took the lead in the bottom of the second inning with a two-out single.
- R-MC tied the game with a run in the top of the third inning. Roth earned a lead-off walk and then stole second. Wood brought her home with a single up the middle, tying the game at 2-2.
- Both teams had baserunners through the middle innings, but neither offense could get them home. R-MC broke that scoreless streak in the top of the seventh inning. Roth led the inning off with a triple down the left field line. She scored on a double by Stone, who was immediately brought home by Wood with a single. Wood stole second to get into scoring position, but LaPrade ensured Wood would get home with her triple to right center. Hill kept the bats alive with a single through the left side that brought LaPrade home. SU made a pitching change, which resulted in two quick outs, but R-MC fought for one last run as Sanderford drove Hill in with a single to right, settling the final score at 7-2.
Inside The Numbers – Game Two
- Roth finished 2-3 with three runs and two walks.
- Wood also finished 2-4 with 2 RBIs and a run.
- LaPrade added two RBIs with a 1-2 game. She also scored a run.
- Sophomore Madie Rhoads (Portsmouth, Va. / Nansemond River) pitched 1.2 innings and had a strikeout. Whittemore finished the game and earned five strikeouts and the win in her 5.1 innings of work.
Randolph-Macon will head to Bridgewater on Tuesday for a doubleheader that begins at 3:00 PM.