Ashland, Va. – The 18th ranked Randolph-Macon softball team split a pair of games with Stevenson at home on Wednesday. The Jackets got some big offense through home runs from junior Ali Celiberti (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) and sophomore Erin Doyle (Moseley, Va. / Cosby High School). Senior Sami Davidson (Stafford, Va. / Brooke Point) also went 2 for 4 in game one while freshman Rilee Baughan (Warsaw, Va. / Rappahannock High School) went 2 for 3 in game two. Sophomore Kellie Ferguson (Capron, Va. / Southampton Academy) also added an RBI for the Yellow Jackets in game two.
Location: Ashland, Va. / R-MC Softball Field
Scores: Game 1: Stevenson 3, Randolph-Macon 2; Game 2: Randolph-Macon 5, Stevenson 0
How it Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets fell behind early in game one before Celiberti lasered a home run over the left center field fence to pull one back.
- In the bottom of the fifth junior Kamryn Steinruck (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) would single up the middle before senior Shelby Hill (Mechanicsville, Va. / St. Margaret's) would rip a double off the fence in right center field to put runners on second and third. Doyle and Celiberti would draw back-to-back walks to score a run and give Celiberti her second RBI of the game.
- Junior pitcher Madie Rhoads (Portsmouth, Va. / Nansemond River) Rhoads finished the game with three strikeouts.
- The Jackets got out on the front foot this time as Hill would get hit by a pitch and promptly steal second. Senior Maddie Stone (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) would single to left field and advance to second while Hill advanced to third.
- Davidson would then reach on a throwing error by the third baseman before a second error allowed all the runners to come around and score giving R-MC a 3-0 lead.
- This would bring Doyle to the plate and she would hammer her third home run of the season over the right center field fence to push the lead to 4-0.
- Baughan would throw four innings of no-hit ball before the Jackets would add another run in the bottom of the fourth. Senior Taylor Sanderford (Mechanicsville, Va. / Atlee) would single to left field before her fellow senior Brooklyne Carr (Windsor, Va. / Nansemond-Suffolk Academy) would lay down a sacrifice bunt to mover her over to second. Ferguson would then pinch hit and line a ball to the right-center field gap to drive in the Jackets fifth run of the game.
- Baughan would see the game out from there only allowing one more hit and striking out three Mustangs.
- Randolph-Macon will return home on Friday March 6th when they host Allegheny in a 2 PM first pitch. They will also face Greensboro on Saturday March 7th in a contest starting at 1 PM.