Emory, VA. – The Randolph-Macon Women's basketball team recorded their first win of the season against Pfeiffer in the opening game of the Comfort Suites Classic in Emory, Virginia. Seniors Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) and Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) led the way for the Jackets finishing with 14 points and 17 points respectively while sophomore Cheridan Hatfield (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) also finished the game in double figures. Woods recorded her first double-double of the season, finishing with 13 rebounds. Senior Kelly Williams (Garysburg, N.C. / Halifax Academy) returned for the Yellow Jackets and recorded 9 rebounds which makes her the new all-time ODAC leading career rebounder with 1069 rebounds, passing former Yellow Jacket Katie Anderson. Williams is also now the all-time career rebounder for Randolph-Macon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 80, Pfeiffer 38
Location: Emory, Va.
Records: Randolph-Macon 1-1, Pfeiffer 1-2
How it Happened:
- Pfeiffer managed to get the first bucket of the game, but the Jackets quickly regained control going on a 19-2 run that started with a Woods layup, followed by back-to-back threes from freshman Haley Pasqualone (Percellville, Va. / Loudoun Valley) and Hatfield. Hatfield would hit her second three of the game at the six-minute mark before Ross hit a layup off a Hatfield assist. Junior Elise Knoblach (Glenville, Pa. / Delone Catholic) hit a layup at the five-minute mark to take the score to 17-4 before freshman Devan Conrad (Parkville, Md. / St. Paul's School for Girls) hit a jump shot off an assist from sophomore Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va. / Saint Gertrude) to finish off the run.
- Kelly Williams entered the game at the six-minute mark and just a minute later she recorded the defensive rebound that would make her the all-time leading ODAC rebounder.
- Ross would hit back-to-back layups to take the score to 40-22, the second coming off an assist from sophomore Janelle De Guzman (Raleigh, N.C. / St. Thomas More Academy) before Ross would return the favor for De Guzman to finish off a layup and draw the foul for three points the old-fashioned way. Ross would finish off the half for the Jackets by draining a three from the wing with just one second remaining on the clock off an assist from junior guard Becca Arrington (Amelia, Va. / Amelia Academy) to send the Jackets into halftime with a 48-22 lead.
- The third quarter was much of the same with Ross and Woods scoring 10 of the Yellow Jackets 14 points in the third quarter with Ross hitting yet another shot as time was winding down to give R-MC a 30-point lead heading into the fourth quarter.
- Williams would grab the first bucket out of the gate in the fourth quarter before Hatfield hit her third three-pointer of the game at the seven-minute mark. Two new Jackets would make their way into the scoring column as freshman Kennedy Cornick (New Windsor, Md. / Francis Scott Key) and sophomore Peyton Humphreys (Lexington, Ky. / Paul Laurence Dunbar) would grab their first buckets of the game around with about four minutes left in the game and see the Jackets cruise to an 80-38 victory.
By the Numbers:
- Kelly Williams grabs the headlines by recording nine rebounds in the game to give her 1069 career rebounds and break former Yellow Jacket Katie Anderson's record of 1060.
- Woods finished the game with 13 rebounds while Arrington and Conrad led the way for the guards on the glass with eight rebounds each. Hatfield led the way in the passing department dishing out seven assists.
- R-MC will face #19 Oglethorpe in the final game of the Comfort Suites Classic in a 4 PM tipoff on Saturday the 16th in Emory.