EMORY, Va. – Senior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) tallied 16 points, going 7-for-12 from the field, but it was not enough to take down the hot-handed #19 Oglethorpe Stormy Petrels, who shot 50% from the field en route to a Saturday afternoon defeat of R-MC in the Comfort Suites Classic.
Score: #19 Oglethorpe 73, Randolph-Macon 53
Location/Venue: Emory, Va. (Emory & Henry College)/King Center
Records: Randolph-Macon (1-2), #19 Oglethorpe (3-1)
How It Happened
- Oglethorpe got in front by four around the 7:00 mark, but the Yellow Jackets kept advancing closer to the lead. R-MC earned a lead of its own with 1:57 to go in the first period, with Ross hitting a jumper to gain the advantage, which put the Yellow Jackets ahead 14-13. That was short-lived though, as the Stormy Petrels got back in front heading into the second quarter.
- R-MC tied the game with a hoop and harm converted by junior Elise Knobloch (Glenville, Pa. / Delone Catholic) in the first minute of the second quarter. R-MC got a 19-17 advantage after a missed layup on the defensive end by OU gave way to a jumper from sophomore Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va. / Saint Gertrude). The teams traded baskets for much of the frame, with Knobloch putting up a key three-pointer around the 4:15 mark. A 6-0 run for Oglethorpe helped put the Stormy Petrels up with under two minutes to play. But Ross returned the favor with two straight jumpers of her own to tie the game at 29-29 with 90 seconds to play. Oglethorpe got two buckets in the final minute, while R-MC added a pair of free throws from DeBell as the teams left the floor with just a one bucket difference between them.
- But it was the third quarter where Oglethorpe pushed for permanent separation. An 8-3 run over the first five minutes put Oglethorpe out in front by seven. The Stormy Petrels kept the pressure up over the next three minutes, going on a 15-3 run, which put Oglethorpe in the driver's seat for much of the rest of the game as R-MC could never match those two long pushes.
- R-MC matched the Stormy Petrels in the fourth quarter, with both teams tallying 15 in the frame. Ross had a pair of baskets in a row early while senior Kelly Williams (Garysburg, N.C. / Halifax Academy) made three of four from the charity stripe, but OU's 25 third quarter points were not enough to overcome as R-MC fell 73-52.
Inside The Numbers
- In addition to her 16 points, Ross led the team in blocks with two and collected five rebounds.
- R-MC won the rebounding battle 39-33. Senior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) led the team with eight rebounds and two steals. Williams collected nine points and six rebounds as well.
- Knobloch finished with three assists to lead the team.
- DeBell and sophomore Cheridan Hatfield (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) each had six points while junior Becca Arrington (Amelia, Va. / Amelia Academy) added five.
R-MC will play at Washington and Lee on Tuesday at 7:00 PM to begin conference play.