ASHLAND, Va. – Four different Yellow Jackets tallied double-digits Tuesday night as Randolph-Macon Women's Basketball grabbed a 96-50 victory against Old Dominion Athletic Conference foe Eastern Mennonite. All four Yellow Jackets also tallied new season-highs for points in the contest.
Score: Randolph-Macon 96, Eastern Mennonite 50
Location/Venue: Crenshaw Gym/Ashland, Va.
Records: Randolph-Macon (2-4, 1-2 ODAC), Eastern Mennonite (1-6, 0-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- R-MC opened the scoring as senior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) made a layup in the first 20 seconds. The teams traded baskets and the lead for many of the opening minutes. But the Yellow Jackets launched into a 12-2 run that helped put R-MC ahead by ten. Senior Kelly Williams (Garysburg, N.C. / Halifax Academy) had eight of the 12 in that sequence, which lasted for nearly four minutes of play. The lead was a dozen by the time the quarter break hit.
- Eastern Mennonite was able to cut the R-MC advantage to under ten multiple times over the first five minutes of the second frame as the teams battled almost bucket-for-bucket. Freshman Devan Conrad (Parkville, Md. / St. Paul's School for Girls) made a basket with 4:46 to go, which kicked off a 13-2 run over the next two minutes. That run helped put R-MC ahead by 20 with just over two minutes to go in the half. Senior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) had seven of those 13 points and added a steal. R-MC finished the quarter on a 6-0 run that helped give it a 46-21 lead at the break.
- The Yellow Jackets kept the momentum moving into the second half. Williams made a pair of layups, plus added a free throw, while junior Becca Arrington (Amelia, Va. / Amelia Academy) hit a triple to help R-MC to an 8-0 run out of the break. R-MC did not allow EMU to score on back-to-back trips down the floor until the final 90 seconds. Meantime, the Yellow Jackets did not end up with many empty possessions as they traveled down the court. R-MC had a 77-34 lead heading into the fourth quarter.
- A 12-2 run led off the fourth quarter for Randolph-Macon. The run was capped off with Arrington sinking a three-pointer with 7:05 to go in the frame. EMU did earn a 6-2 run over a one minute period late in the quarter, but sophomore Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va. / Saint Gertrude) made a jumper to finalize the score at 96-50 with about 20 seconds to go.
By The Numbers
- Williams, Woods, DeBell and Arrington were the quartet of Yellow Jackets in double figures. Williams led the team with 21 points. Woods added 15, making seven field goals. DeBell also made seven from the floor, en route to grabbing 14 total and shooting 70% from the field. Arrington finished with 11, including a pair of treys. All four set new season-highs for points.
- Williams also led R-MC with 17 rebounds, a new season-high, while also marking her third double-double of the season. She made five blocks as well.
- Junior Elise Knobloch (Glenville, Pa. / Delone Catholic) and sophomore Cheridan Hatfield (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) each had five assists. Hatfield added six points, while Knobloch had four. The two each had a pair of steals as well, which were team-highs.
- It was the first time R-MC had tallied more than 90 points since last year, when R-MC defeated Bridgewater 94-87 on November 20.
- Woods led the team with five offensive rebounds, finishing with nine total. Knobloch tallied seven, while freshman Kennedy Cornick (New Windsor, Md. / Francis Scott Key) and Ross came up with five each. Ross finished with nine points as well.
The Yellow Jackets will dip back into non-conference play with a home game against Mary Washington on Thursday. Please note the departure from the normal mid-week start time, as this game begins at 6:00 PM.
R-MC then hits the road for a contest at Christopher Newport on Saturday at 2:00 PM, which will conclude the December schedule.