ASHLAND, Va. – A 13-2 run in the third quarter was the difference-maker as Randolph-Macon Women's Basketball outscored the Randolph WildCats 19-9 in that period, en route to a ten-point Old Dominion Athletic Conference victory Tuesday night.
Score: Randolph-Macon 55, Randolph 45
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: Randolph-Macon (12-9, 10-5 ODAC), Randolph (6-16, 1-14 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Randolph had the hot shooting to start. After missing its first field goal, RC scored three straight buckets to go ahead 6-1. R-MC came storming back as sophomore Cheridan Hatfield (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) and senior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) made a pair of baskets to cut the WildCat lead to just one. The Yellow Jackets earned their first lead of the contest as Ross hit a basket around the 3:49 mark. But a WildCat 5-0 run to end the quarter helped give the visitors the edge heading into the second period.
- Hatfield hit a big three-pointer to open the period, cutting the deficit to two. The WildCats added a bucket, but Ross had a 4-0 run herself to level the score as the teams neared the halfway mark of the period. The Yellow Jackets got into foul trouble early, putting the WildCats into the bonus for the remainder of the frame. That helped Randolph grab the small lead with about three minutes to play, but it was wiped off the board moments later as the clock neared a minute to play when sophomore Peyton Humphreys (Lexington, Ky. / Paul Laurence Dunbar) hit a basket and a pair of free throws, giving R-MC the two point edge at halftime.
- Randolph tied it immediately out of the break with a jumper about a minute into the period. R-MC got two straight layups to retake the lead, which kickstarted a 13-2 run leading up to the 5:52 mark of the period. That run proved to be crticial as Randolph never got closer than nine for the remainder of the period and the R-MC edge was 12 heading into the final quarter.
- A 6-2 run for R-MC led off the final period, which helped extend the Yellow Jacket lead. Junior Becca Arrington (Amelia, Va. / Amelia Academy) started it with a big three-pointer and Williams followed that with a layup. Moments later, Williams added a put-back bucket to give R-MC its largest lead to that point – 17 points. Randolph would cut the deficit throughout the period, but the Yellow Jackets earned the win 55-45.
Inside The Numbers
- Williams finished with 21 points and 11 rebounds, marking her 15th double-double. Williams has a Top 10 position in Division III Women's Basketball for most double-doubles this season.
- Ross tallied 11 points and added seven rebounds. Senior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) also pulled in seven boards.
- Hatfield dished out five assists, marking her sixth game with five or more helpers in 2019-2020.
- Woods led the team with three steals. Ross, Williams and Humphreys added two each. Humphreys finished with four points and five rebounds as well.
- R-MC shot 40% from the field tonight.
The Yellow Jackets will travel to Ferrum for a 2:00 PM contest on Saturday.