MIDDLETOWN, Pa. - Senior midfielder Abbie Winkelmann (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg Area) scored in the first half and junior midfielder Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) added an insurance goal in the second half as the Randolph-Macon women's soccer team posted a 2-0 season-opening victory at Penn St.-Harrisburg on Friday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 2, Penn St.-Harrisburg 0
Location/Venue: Middletown, Pa./Nittany Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 1-0, Penn St.-Harrisburg 0-1
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets had the first five shots of the game without success. Winkelmann finished on the right side in the 22nd minute on a pass from senior forward Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va./Halifax County) as R-MC took a 1-0 lead.
- R-MC held a 9-2 advantage on shots in the first half. Four of the shots by the Yellow Jackets were on goal, while neither of the shots by the Lions were on goal.
- Kent converted a free kick from the center of the field just beyond the box in the 68th minute to give R-MC a 2-0 advantage.
- The Yellow Jackets had a 25-4 advantage in shots, including 13-1 for shots on goal. Nelson topped the team with seven shots, of which two were on goal. Kent had five shots and all but one were on goal.
- Senior goalkeeper Christina Newman (Virginia Beach, Va./Kempsville) worked a scoreless first half. Sophomore Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) had one save in a scoreless second stanza.
- Defensive starters including sophomore Kylie Martino (Centreville, Va./Centreville), freshman Olivia Adams (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) and freshman Gracie Tritt (Fredericksburg, Va/Riverbend) helped the Yellow Jackets record their first shutout of the season.
Randolph-Macon has its home opener on Sunday, Sept. 1 at 6:30 p.m. against St. Mary's (Md.) on the R-MC Soccer Field.