ASHLAND, Va. - Junior forward Meghan Skevington (Richmond, Va./Deep Run) snapped a 1-1 tie with a goal in the 87th minute as the Randolph-Macon women's soccer team outlasted St. Mary's (Md.) 3-1 on Sunday evening..
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, St. Mary's (Md.) 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Soccer Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 2-0, St. Mary's (Md.) 1-1
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets had seven shots in the first half, with five on goal. The seventh found the back of the net with 1:35 left in the period as sophomore forward Tyria Smalls (Fredericksburg, Va./Massaponax) beat the keeper on a pass from junior midfielder McKenna Maier (Henrico, Va./Deep Run) to give the Yellow Jackets a 1-0 lead at the half. It was her first goal of the season.
- The R-MC defense held SMC to three shots in the first half, of which one was on goal. Sophomore goalkeeper Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) recorded a save on that lone shot on goal.
- The Seahawks recorded the equalizer in the 58th minute to even the score at 1-1.
- SMC played the final seven minutes down a player. The Yellow Jackets took advantage as junior Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) sent a corner kick into the box and Skevington headed the ball past the keeper to give the home team a 2-1 edge. It was the first goal of the season for Skevington.
- Senior forward Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va./Halifax County) added an insurance goal with three seconds left on an assist by Smalls as R-MC claimed the 3-1 victory. It was Nelson's first goal of the season.
- The Yellow Jackets had an 18-4 advantage in shots, including 9-2 for shots on goal. Nelson and Smalls both had five shots, with Nelson having four shots on goal. Kent and Maier both recorded two shots.
- R-MC had six corner kicks, compared to a pair for SMC. The Yellow Jackets had four of the six in the second half.
- Defensive starters including senior Haley Silva (Henrico, Va./Deep Run), sophomore Kylie Martino (Centreville, Va./Centreville), freshman Olivia Adams (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) and freshman Gracie Tritt (Fredericksburg, Va/Riverbend) held the Seahawks to a single goal.
Randolph-Macon will host Meredith on Wednesday, Sept. 4 at 4 p.m. on the R-MC Soccer Field.