VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – Junior forward Meghan Skevington (Richmond, Va./Deep Run) scored the lone goal in the 74th minute as the 20th-ranked Randolph-Macon women's soccer team blanked Virginia Wesleyan 1-0 in ODAC action on Wednesday evening.
Score: Randolph-Macon 1, Virginia Wesleyan 0
Location/Venue: Virginia Wesleyan, Va./Foster Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 10-0, 2-0 ODAC; Virginia Wesleyan 6-3-2, 2-2-0)
How it Happened:
- The Marlins had the first three shots of the contest in the match's first seven minutes, with senior goalkeeper Christina Newman (Virginia Beach, Va./Kempsville) saving the first two. Sophomore defender Kylie Martino (Centreville, Va./Centreville) and freshman defender Gracie Tritt (Fredericksburg, Va./Riverbend) had shots on goal in the 10th and 13th minutes, respectively. Sophomore forward Nicole Czyzewski (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) had a pair of shots sandwiched around a shot by senior forward Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va./Halifax County) as the contest remained scoreless. R-MC's sixth straight shot came off the foot of senior midfielder Abbie Winkelmann (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg Area) in the 30th minute, which was saved. VWU put a pair of shots on goal over the next six minutes, as Newman was able to save both. There were no shots over the final nine minutes as it remained scoreless at intermission. R-MC held a 6-5 edge in shots, as Czyzewski was the only Yellow Jacket with two. Newman notched four saves in the first 45 minutes.
- R-MC was the aggressor at the start of the second half as sophomore forward Tyria Smalls (Fredericksburg, Va./Massaponax) had a shot on goal in the 50th minute. Junior midfielder Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) added shots over the next three minutes, but both went wide. Kent had two more shots in the 58th minute, the second one on goal.
- Winkelmann sent the ball in to Smalls, who fed to Skevington. The junior beat the keeper in the bottom left corner in the 74th minute to give the Yellow Jackets a 1-0 edge.
- VWU had four shots over the final 16 minutes but could not find the back of the net as R-MC posted the 1-0 victory.
By The Numbers:
- R-MC had a 15-13 edge in shots. Kent had four shots and Nelson added three.
- The Yellow Jacket defense, led by Martino, Tritt, senior Haley Silva (Henrico, Va./Deep Run) and freshman Olivia Adams (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) recorded the seventh shutout of the season. R-MC has allowed just four goals on the season.
- Newman had four saves in the first half, while sophomore Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) had two saves in the second half.
For The Record:
- R-MC is off to its best start since the 1995 season, when the Yellow Jackets won their first 13 matches.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Roanoke on Saturday, Oct. 12 for a 2 p.m. ODAC contest.