GRANTHAM, Pa. – Senior forward Gabby Nelson (Clover, Va./Halifax County) recorded three shots and had a pair of shots on goal in the first half, and senior Christina Newman (Virginia Beach, Va./Kempsville) registered four saves in the first 45 minutes, as the 13th-ranked Randolph-Macon women's soccer team saw its record-setting season come to an end in a 4-0 decision at top-ranked Messiah on Sunday afternoon in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
Score: Messiah 4, Randolph-Macon 0
Location/Venue: Grantham, Pa./Shoemaker Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 21-1-1, Messiah 20-1-1
How it Happened:
- The Falcons had the first six shots of the match, with Newman recording a save on the first. MC registered goals in the 16th and 20th minutes as the Yellow Jackets faced their first two-goal deficit of the season. Junior midfielder McKenna Maier (Henrico, Va./Deep Run) had a shot in the 20th minute that went right and junior midfielder Casey Kent (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) sent a shot high in the 22nd minute. The Falcons added a third goal in the 32nd minute to make it 3-0. Nelson had shots on goal in the 40th and 42nd minutes, but the half would end 3-0. Newman had four saves in the first half.
- MC would add a goal in the 52nd minute to extend the lead to 4-0. Sophomore Edye Carr (Clinton, N.C./Clinton) had two saves in the second half for the Yellow Jackets.
By The Numbers:
- MC had a 17-6 advantage on shots, including 10-2 for shots on goal. Nelson had half of R-MC's shots and both of its shots on goal.
- R-MC gave up more than one goal for just the third time this season.
For The Record:
- The 21 wins this season by R-MC marked a program record. The one loss matched the program mark for fewest defeats in a season.
- The match marked the final appearance for R-MC's six seniors: captains Nelson and midfielder Abbie Winkelmann (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg Area); Newman, midfielder Ellis Mumford (Glen Allen, Va./Trinity), defender Haley Silva (Henrico, Va./Deep Run) and defender Madi Powell (Wake Forest, N.C./Deep Run).