ASHLAND, Va. – Senior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va./Stone Bridge) registered 24 assists as the Randolph-Macon women's volleyball team remained undefeated with a 3-1 victory over Marymount on Friday afternoon in the first game of the R-MC Invitational.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Marymount 1 (29-27, 22-25, 25-23, 25-12)
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va. / Crenshaw Gym
Records: Randolph-Macon 5-0, Marymount 0-4
How it Happened:
- The first three games were close, with neither team leading by more than three points. The Saints scored the first three points in Game 1 before a kill by senior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) capped a 4-0 run as the Yellow Jackets went up 4-3. MU netted three straight points and pushed its lead back to three at 8-5. The Saints were on top 11-8 before a kill by junior Mackenzie Loewe (Leonardtown, Md./St. Mary's Ryken) sparked a 3-0 spurt as R-MC leveled the game at 11-11. The teams stayed with a point of each other until R-MC took a 21-19 edge. The Yellow Jackets had five game points before claiming the 29-27 win. Sophomore Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C./Sanderson) had five kills, while Tender had eight assists. Loewe finished with nine digs.
- The Yellow Jackets had kills by Koch and freshman Grace Parker (Andover, N.J./Pope John XXIII) to take a quick 2-0 lead in the second game. The Saints built a 10-7 advantage before a 5-2 spurt by R-MC tied the game at 12-12. The score was knotted at 21-21 before MU scored four of the final five points to win 25-22. Parker had five kills and 12 total attacks, while Tender and sophomore Macguire Gubba (Grove City, Pa./Grove City Area) both had five assists. Loewe again had nine digs.
- A kill by Hall capped a 5-2 start for R-MC in Game 3. The Saints used a 7-1 run to take a 9-6 advantage. The Yellow Jackets put together their own 7-1 rally to go ahead 13-10. MU was up 23-22 before a kill by senior Bailey Jones (Suffolk, Va./Norfolk Collegiate) and two kills by senior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va./James River) gave the home team a 25-23 victory. Wolfe finished with five kills, while Tender delivered five assists and four digs.
- There was no drama in the fourth game. R-MC jumped out to a 5-1 lead and never trailed. MU cut it to one at 10-9 before the Yellow Jackets scored 11 straight points to take a 21-9 lead on their way to a 25-12 victory. Tender had six assists, five digs and three service aces.
By The Numbers
- Parker finished with 12 kills, while Koch added 10. Hall and Wolfe both recorded nine kills.
- Koch had five block assists, while Wolfe had four block assists.
- Along with the 24 assists by Tender, Gubba finished with 14.
- Lowe topped the team with 22 digs, while Tender and junior Kristina Smith (Virginia Beach, Va./Cape Henry) both had 13 digs.
Randolph-Macon will face Susquehanna on Friday, Sept. 6 at 7:30 p.m. in Crenshaw Gym.