ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon Women's Volleyball earned a split after a pair of games at the Randolph-Macon Invitational, which the Yellow Jackets are hosting in Crenshaw and Alumni gyms. After defeating Marymount 3-1 earlier in the afternoon, the Yellow Jackets fell to Susquehanna in the late game.
Score: Susquehanna 3, Randolph-Macon 0 (25-22, 25-22, 25-22)
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: Susquehanna (4-1), Randolph-Macon (5-1)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon opened up on fire. The Yellow Jackets got the first six points and won eight of the first ten. But the River Hawks were able to rally off 12 of 13 and took the lead, which they never surrendered en route to the 25-22 set win.
- The second set was played much tighter. Neither team could get ahead by any more than three, until the Yellow Jackets ripped off five in a row with senior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va. / Stone Bridge) in service. Susquehanna came back to tie the match at 19-19, which is when the two teams went point-for-point for much of the lead up to the final moments of the match. The River Hawks were able to score four of the final five to win 25-22.
- Almost a carbon copy of the second, the two teams tied at 9-9 before R-MC took the lead by three with a kill from freshman Grace Parker (Andover, N.J. / Pope John XXIII) and another service ace from Tender. The River Hawks pulled back to a 15-15 tie and kept the advantage until R-MC tallied ties at 20-20 and 21-21. A service error gave R-MC life with a 22-22 as well, but Susquehanna finished out the set with the 25-22 win.
Inside The Numbers
- Sophomore Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C. / Sanderson) led R-MC with seven kills. Fellow sophomore Danielle LaRosa (Charlottesville, Va. / Albemarle) was close behind with six kills while Parker and senior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va. / James River) each threw in five.
- Tender collected five service aces and added 18 assists, both team highs.
- Sophomore Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va. / Albemarle) led the team with 16 digs. Parker also collected 13.
- Wolfe, LaRosa, senior Kai Cunningham (Virginia Beach, Va. / Kempsville) and freshman Jordan Davis-Allen (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) each had a block assist.
Randolph-Macon will play two tomorrow. The Yellow Jackets face Salisbury at 10:00 AM and Averett at 2:00 PM, both in Crenshaw Gym.