VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – Women's Volleyball attacked with a better than .300 hitting percentage in the first two sets Tuesday night, helping the Yellow Jackets to stay unbeaten in the conference, while handing the Virginia Wesleyan Marlins their first conference loss. Two Yellow Jackets got into double-figures for kills, while the reigning Old Dominion Athletic Conference Player of the Week, Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C. / Sanderson), had another errorless match, making three in a row for the sophomore.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Virginia Wesleyan 1 (25-18, 25-19, 16-25, 25-23)
Location: Virginia Beach, Va./Batten Center
Records: Randolph-Macon (13-3, 7-0 ODAC), Virginia Wesleyan (17-6, 6-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon got behind early. The Yellow Jackets were forced to take a timeout after Virginia Wesleyan scored eight of the first ten points of the first set. The adjustments worked though as R-MC reversed the Marlins' efforts, rattling off eight of the next nine points to take a one-point advantage and forced a Marlins timeout. From there, the Yellow Jackets never allowed VWU to get closer than four as R-MC won the set 25-18.
- Neither team could break out in the early stages of the second frame. Senior Bailey Jones (Suffolk, Va. / Norfolk Collegiate) had a pair of solid kills to help R-MC take a one-point advantage to 9-8. VWU tied it moments later, but that would be the last tie of the set as R-MC slowly pressed ahead, helped by two straight service aces from senior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va. / Stone Bridge). Virginia Wesleyan got within one at 15-16, but R-MC held on and got another pair of aces in a row from Tender late in the set as the Yellow Jackets won 25-19.
- Not wanting to be victim of a shutout, the Marlins came out firing in the third set. R-MC got its first three points to take a 3-1 lead, but fell behind to the Marlins' 9-3 run. VWU tallied runs of 4-0 and 5-0 as the Marlins pushed away from the Yellow Jackets late to win 25-16.
- The upset-minded Marlins kept the fourth set close. Each point was tied until R-MC earned two in a row to take an edge 7-5. The small advantage disappeared as the Marlins tied the set once more to 9-9 on a kill and an R-MC attack error. R-MC built another lead though, using a 5-1 run. That forced a Marlins timeout. Out of that adjustment, VWU tied the set at 17-17 before grabbing the two-point lead at 19-17. VWU held on to the slight edge until R-MC tied it at 21-21 with a kill by senior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va. / James River). R-MC went on to earn the next two points and held on to win 25-23 as Koch put down the final kill.
Inside The Numbers
- Senior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) and freshman Grace Parker (Andover, N.J. / Pope John XXIII) dipped into the double-digits for kills, each collecting 10. Koch added nine while Jones finished with eight as well.
- Tender's four service aces led the team, though Parker was right behind her adding three. R-MC had nine total on the night.
- Sophomore Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va. / Albemarle) was the team-leader for digs with 17. Tender had 11 as well and Parker threw in ten.
- Koch led the team with four blocks, including one solo block. Hall added two.
- Tender collected 25 assists on the night, while sophomore Macguire Gubba (Grove City, Pa. / Grove City Area School District) had 17.
- R-MC hit .303 in the first set and .345 in the second set, en route to a .207 hitting percentage for the match.
Randolph-Macon will travel to the Colorado College Invitational in Colorado Springs, Colorado this weekend. The Yellow Jackets will face four opponents while out west, including the eighth-ranked Colorado College. You can see the full schedule and check out links to video and live stats HERE. Keep in mind that the start time is adjusted to be Eastern Standard Time. Local time Mountain Standard Time, which is two hours behind Virginia.