ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon junior Mackenzie Loewe (Leonardtown, Md. / St. Mary's Ryken) pushed Women's Volleyball to 17 straight points, as she served to lead off the second set in a Yellow Jackets defeat of the Randolph WildCats Wednesday night in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament Quarterfinals.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Randolph 0 (25-15, 25-8, 25-15)
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: Randolph-Macon (24-7), Randolph (13-14)
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets began to pull away during the middle stages of the first set. After Randolph pulled the set with one at 7-8, Randolph-Macon collected seven of the next eight, pushing the Yellow Jackets ahead 15-8. R-MC used the advantage to keep the separation and earned the win 25-15. Seniors Bailey Jones (Suffolk, Va. / Norfolk Collegiate) and Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) led the Yellow Jackets with four kills each as R-MC hit at a nearly .500 clip, making just a lone error.
- The second set belonged to Randolph-Macon from the first whistle. In a complete skill showcase, the Yellow Jackets went for 17 straight points without allowing a side out, with Loewe leading the way with her serves. R-MC collected nine kills and Loewe had three service aces in the forceful demonstration of the Yellow Jackets' effectiveness on offense. After Randolph put together a 4-2 run, R-MC ramped back up with four-straight kills, one each from seniors Kai Cunningham (Virginia Beach, Va. / Kempsville) and Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va. / James River) and two from freshman Grace Parker (Andover, N.J. / Pope John XXIII). The Yellow Jackets won the set 25-8.
- Randolph was able to take the edge early in the third set. RC got ahead 5-3 and 6-5, but R-MC earned four points in a row with a pair of Randolph errors and a kill from sophomore Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C./Sanderson) and Parker to take the slim lead. As the teams battled to get in front, Randolph was able to come back and tie the set at 11-11. But R-MC would rip off 12 of the next 14 to earn to significant advantage and eventually the match and set victory, which ended on Loewe hitting a fourth service ace of the night.
Inside The Numbers
- Randolph-Macon hit at a .358 clip for the entire night.
- Parker led the Yellow Jackets with 12 kills. Hall added nine while Jones and Koch finished with eight each.
- Senior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va. / Stone Bridge) finished with 21 assists. Sophomore Macguire Gubba (Grove City, Pa. / Grove City Area School District) added 15 assists as well.
- In addition to her four aces, Loewe also led the team with 17 digs. Sophomore Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va. / Albemarle) finished with 15 digs as well.
- Outside of Loewe's four service aces, Tender and Warlick each had two aces, while Parker and Gubba each added one to total 10 for R-MC tonight.
- Koch led the team with five blocks. Parker and Jones each had two while Hall added one.
As the Tournament's top overall seed, the Yellow Jackets retain hosting rights for the remainder of the tournament.
- Randolph-Macon will face the fifth-seeded Washington and Lee Generals on Friday afternoon at 5:00 PM in a semifinal contest.
- In the other semifinal, #2 Virginia Wesleyan will face #3 Guilford at 7:30 PM.
- #5 W&L defeated #4 Bridgewater tonight 3-1.
- #2 VWU won against #7 Roanoke 3-0.
- #3 Guilford advanced with a win against #6 Lynchburg 3-0.
Tickets to the semifinals and finals will cost $10/day for adults and $5/day for ages 5-High School, while kids under 5 and students of participating schools with an ID are free. The cost includes both semifinal matches on Friday evening.
This year, the Old Dominion Athletic Conference is partnering with Ticket Spicket to offer you the chance to buy your tickets prior to the event. You can find more information on the partnership HERE, while you can purchase your tickets for the semifinals HERE and finals HERE.