ASHLAND, Va. – Senior Miranda Hall (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) had 14 kills, one of three Yellow Jackets in double-figures, as the top-seeded Randolph-Macon women's volleyball team outlasted fifth-seeded Washington and Lee 3-1 in the semifinals of the 2019 ODAC Championship.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Washington and Lee 1 (25-23, 22-25, 27-25, 25-20)
Venue/Location: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: Randolph-Macon 25-7, Washington and Lee 24-10
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets had the first point of Game 1 on a kill by Hall before the Generals put up four of the next five points to take a 4-2 lead. A kill by freshman Grace Parker (Andover, N.J./Pope John XXIII) capped a 4-0 spurt as R-MC went up 6-4. The Yellow Jackets led 8-5 before four straight by W&L gave the visitors a 9-8 edge. With it tied at 10-10, the Generals got five of the next six points to take a 15-11 lead. W&L was up 19-15 before another Hall kill ended a 5-0 run, giving the Yellow Jackets a 20-19 lead. After the Generals tied it at 20-20, sophomore Sydney Koch (Raleigh, N.C./Sanderson) had a block to finish a 3-0 run as R-MC went up 23-20. W&L pulled within one at 24-23 before the Yellow Jackets got the final point to claim a 25-23 win. The first set had eight ties and six lead changes. Parker had five kills and 11 total attacks, along with three service aces and three digs. Hall added four kills. Sophomore Maguire Gubba (Grove City Pa./Grove City Area) had eight assists and senior Angela Tender (Manassas, Va./Stone Bridge) added four. Sophomore Madison Warlick (Charlottesville, Va./Albemarle) paced the victors with six digs, while senior Kai Cunningham (Virginia Beach, Va./Kempsville) had three block assists.
- R-MC used the momentum of the Game 1 win to score the first five points in the second game. The Yellow Jackets expanded the lead to six at 9-3, forcing a timeout by W&L. The Generals would respond with a 13-3 run to take a 16-12 lead. R-MC would answer by scoring six of the next seven points to go ahead 18-17. The Yellow Jackets led 20-19 before W&L put up six of the final eight points to take a 25-22 victory. Parker and Koch both had three kills. Tender had eight assists and Warlick registered five digs.
- The teams alternated the first five points in Game 3 before two kills by senior Bailey Jones (Suffolk, Va./Norfolk Collegiate) sandwiched a kill by Cunningham as R-MC took a 5-3 edge. W&L was ahead 16-14 before the Yellow Jackets had five straight to go up 19-16, the largest lead for either team to that point. Jones had two kills in that spurt. After a W&L timeout, R-MC added two more for a 21-16 advantage, forcing another timeout by the Generals. W&L scored three straight before a kill by Cunningham halted the run, making it 22-19. With the score tied at 25-25, Jones and Koch combined on a block and Jones delivered the kill to end the set. There were 14 ties and five lead changes in Game 3. Jones finished with six kills, 16 total attacks and three block assists. Tender had 11 assists and Warlick had 11 of the team's 27 digs. Koch also had three block assists.
- The teams stayed within a point before W&L went up 5-3. The Generals led 9-7 before the Yellow Jackets grabbed four of the next five points to take an 11-10 lead. W&L went up 12-11 before kills by Cunningham and Parker capped a 5-0 spurt to give R-MC a 16-12 advantage, the largest lead for either team to that point. W&L pulled within two at 21-19 before kills by senior Alexia Wolfe (Midlothian, Va./James River) and Hall made it 23-19, forcing a W&L timeout. A Koch kill ended the match with a 25-20 win for the Yellow Jackets. Game 4 had eight ties and four lead changes. R-MC hit .250 in the final game. Hall had five kills out of seven attacks for a hit percentage of .571. Tender had five assists and Gubba handed our four. Junior Mackenzie Loewe (Leonardtown, Md./St. Mary's Ryken) recorded seven digs.
Inside The Numbers
- There were 35 ties and 18 lead changes in the match.
- Along with the 14 kills by Hall, Parker added 12 and Jones had 11.
- Tender tallied 28 assists, while Gubba garnered 18.
- Warlick had 25 digs with no receiving errors. Loewe added 15 and Parker had 12.
- Cunningham had six block assists, while Jones and Koch finished with five and Wolfe added four.
Randolph-Macon advances to the ODAC Championship Game against the winner of second-seeded Virginia Wesleyan and third-seeded Guilford. During the regular season, the Yellow Jackets topped the Marlins 3-1 and blanked the Quakers 3-0. R-MC will be looking for its fourth title in the past five seasons.