ASHLAND, Va. – Junior Blake Doggett (Richmond, Va./Hanover) homered twice and knocked in four as the Randolph-Macon baseball team rallied past Pitt-Bradford on Sunday afternoon to complete a three-game series sweep.
Score: Randolph-Macon 14, Pitt-Bradford 4
Site/Venue: Ashland, Va./Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park
Records: R-MC 3-0, UPB 0-3
How It Happened:
- The Panthers scored two unearned runs in the second and added single runs in the third and fifth to take a 4-0 lead. The Yellow Jackets final got on the board in the bottom of the fifth as Doggett belted a deep homer to right center, his second of the season, to lead off the inning and make it 4-1.
- R-MC erupted for seven runs in the sixth. Senior Spencer Pietruszynski (Williamsburg, Va./Jamestown) had a leadoff infield single and went to third on an errant throw to second on a fielder's choice by junior Ethan Iannuzzi (Chesterfield, Va./Cosby). Sophomore Hunter Cole (Norfolk, Va./Granby) drew a walk to load the bases. Senior Will Hass (Charlottesville, Va./St. Anne's Belfield) hit a grounder to third and the third baseman came home with the throw to force out Pietruszynski at the plate. Junior Brooks Mazey (Glen Allen, Va./Deep Run) singled to right to plate Iannuzzi and Cole, pulling the Yellow Jackets within one at 4-3. Following a pitching change, Doggett belted a three-run homer, his third of the weekend, to put R-MC on top to stay at 6-4. The Yellow Jackets added a pair of unearned runs later in the frame to lead 8-4.
- The Yellow Jackets put the game away with five in the seventh. Following a single by Cole, Hass sent a liner past the diving centerfielder that turned into an inside-the-park homer to make it 10-4. Mazey was plunked and scored on a wild pitch, and Pietruszynski delivered a two-run double as the advantage grew to 13-4.
- Sophomore Myles Webb (Norfolk, Va./Granby) had a one-out double in the eighth and came home on a triple by freshman Aidan Pinto (Norfolk, Va./Granby) to make the final 14-4.
By The Numbers
- Doggett was 2 for 3 with two homers and four RBI.
- Pietruszynski had three hits and two RBI.
- R-MC used nine pitchers. Senior Matt Coutts (Virginia Beach, Va./First Colonial) earned the win in his first collegiate appearance. He was the only Yellow Jacket to record a 1-2-3 inning. Other hurlers who made their first appearance on the mound were freshman Michael Shanahan (Fredericksburg, Va./Massaponax), junior Patrick Driggers (Carrollton, Va./Home School), freshman Sam Slevin (Virginia Beach, Va./Frank Cox) and freshman Lincoln Lubsen (Williamsburg, Va./Walsingham Academy).
R-MC will travel to N.C. Wesleyan on Tuesday, Feb. 22 for a 2 p.m. contest.