Posted: Mar 11, 2023
ASHLAND, Va. – Sophomore Lincoln Lubsen (Williamsburg, Va./Walsingham Academy) went 3 for 4 with a double, a run and three RBI as the 15th-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team defeated Ferrum 6-3 on Saturday afternoon in the ODAC opener for both teams.
Score: Randolph-Macon 6, Ferrum 3
Site/Venue: Ashland, Va./Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park
Records: R-MC 10-2, 1-0 ODAC; FC 3-10, 0-1 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Panthers plated one in the top of the fourth before the Yellow Jackets responded in the bottom of the frame. Junior Myles Webb (Norfolk, Va./Granby) had a leadoff single and went to second on a walk to senior Carter Johnson (Southampton, Va./Southampton). Lubsen doubled down the left field line to knock in both runners, giving RMC a 2-1 edge.
- Ferrum would reclaim the lead with two in the top of the sixth. In the bottom of the sixth, Johnson drew a one-out walk, went to third on a hit-and-run single through the right side by Lubsen and scored on a groundout by sophomore Aaron Lautenschlager (Purcellville, Va./Loudoun Valley) to level the score at 2-2.
- RMC took the lead for good in the seventh. Jjunior Grayson Bush (Charlottesville, Va./Monticello) had a leadoff single, stole second, went to third on a lineout to right and scored on a sacrifice fly by senior Ethan Iannuzzi (Chesterfield, Va./Cosby) to give the Yellow Jackets a 4-3 lead.
- The Yellow Jackets added two insurance runs in the eighth. Johnson drew a one-out walk, stole second and came home on a Lubsen base hit. Lubsen went to second on a balk, advanced to third on an infield single by junior Matt Myers (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley) and scored on an error to make it 6-3.
- Senior Hayden Snelsire (Berlin, Md./Stephen Decatur) fanned nine in 6.0 innings with seven hits and one walk.
- Junior Cole Snead (Haymarket, Va./Battlefield) tossed a scoreless seventh to pick up the win and raise his record to 2-0.
- Junior Cole Stamm (Irvington, Va./Middlesex) made his fifth appearance and recorded his fifth save, hurling two scoreless innings with one hit and one walk.
By The Numbers
- Webb had two hits and a run.
- Johnson walked three times and scored three.
R-MC and Ferrum will conclude their series on Sunday, March 12 with an 11 a.m. contest on Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park.