Posted: Mar 18, 2023
ASHLAND, Va. – Sophomore Aaron Lautenschlager (Purcellville, Va./Loudoun Valley) had three hits and six RBI, including five in the opener, as the 14th-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team split an ODAC doubleheader with Washington and Lee on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 15-3, Washington and Lee 1-8
Site/Venue: Ashland, Va./Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park
Records: R-MC 13-3, 3-1 ODAC; WLU 11-4, 5-2 ODAC
How It Happened: Game 1
- The Yellow Jackets started the scoring in the first. Senior Ethan Iannuzzi (Chesterfield, Va./Cosby) had a leadoff single and went to second on a groundout by junior Myles Webb (Norfolk, Va./Granby). Senior Hunter Cole (Norfolk, Va./Granby) was hit by a pitch and both runners moved up 90 feet on a double steal. With two away, Lautenschlager delivered a two-run single to plate Iannuzzi and Cole to give RMC a 2-0 edge.
- RMC added to its lead in the second. Freshman Nathan Chen (South Riding, Va./Freedom) had a leadoff single, stole second and went to third on a base hit by senior Logan Smith (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian). Junior Grayson Bush (Charlottesville, Va./Monticello) walked to load the bases. Webb had a sacrifice fly to knock in Chen and make it 3-0. Cole had an infield single and the throw to first bounded away, allowing Smith and Bush to score to make it 5-0. Sophomore Chaz Harvey (Charlottesville, Va./The Miller School) had a single and Lautenschlager delivered a two-run double to extend the lead to 7-0.
- Webb was hit by a pitch and scored on a single by Harvey in the fourth as the advantage grew to 8-0.
- The Generals scored a run on a double play in the top of the fifth before the Yellow Jackets put up another crooked number in the bottom of the frame. senior Carter Johnson (Southampton, Va./Southampton) doubled and scored on a triple by Chen. Smith doubled home Chen and scored on an error as the lead grew to 11-1. Harvey had another run-scoring single and Lautenschlager added a sacrifice fly to make it 13-1.
- RMC added its final two runs in the eighth. Junior Kolby Birchett (North Prince George, Va./Prince George) had a one-out pinch-hit single and moved to second on a walk to Smith. Junior Richie Dudley (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) had a pinch-hit double to bring home Birchett. Freshman Eli Brooks (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) knocked in Smith with a groundout to make the final 15-1.
- Senior Hayden Snelsire (Berlin, Md./Stephen Decatur) pitched 7.0 innings with five hits, one run, two walks and 10 strikeouts in earning the win and raising his record to 4-0.
By The Numbers
- Lautenschlager went 2 for 3 with 5 RBI.
- Smith was 2 for 4 with a walk, three runs and one RBI.
- Harvey went 3 for 4 with one run and two RBI.
- Chen went 2 for 3 with a walk, two runs and one RBI.
- Iannuzzi had two hits and two runs.
- Webb and Cole both scored twice, with Cole stealing two bases.
- Sophomore Aidan Smith (Gastonia, N.C./Gaston Day) made his first appearance for the Yellow Jackets and tossed a scoreless ninth with a pair of strikeouts.
How It Happened: Game 2
- RMC again started the scoring in the first. Iannuzzi had a leadoff single and went to third on a base hit by freshman Carter Schmitt (Glen Allen, Va./St. Christopher's). Cole's sacrifice fly brought in Iannuzzi to give the Yellow Jackets a 1-0 lead.
- WLU put up three in the top of the second to go ahead before RMC responded in the third. Schmitt had a leadoff single, went to third on a double by Cole and scored on a base hit by Lautenschlager to make it 3-2.
- The Yellow Jackets would tie it an inning later. Bush drew a one-out walk, went to second on an error, advanced to third on a single by Schmitt and came home on a sacrifice fly by Webb to level the score at 3-3.
- The Generals would tally two in the eighth and three in the ninth to record the 8-3 win.
By The Numbers
- Schmitt went 3 for 5 with a run.
- Bush was 1 for 2 with two walks and a run.
- RMC stranded seven over the first four innings and nine in the contest.
R-MC will host No. 17 Methodist on Tuesday, March 21 at 3:30 p.m. on Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park.