Posted: Mar 21, 2023
ASHLAND, Va. – Senior Ethan Iannuzzi (Chesterfield, Va./Cosby) went 3 for 4 with one run and one RBI, while juniors Wyatt Stanley (Beaverdam, Va./Patrick Henry) and Jacob Lawler (Broad Run, Va./Battlefield) combined to toss seven scoreless innings with eight strikeouts, as the 13th-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team defeated No. 18 Methodist 8-1 on Tuesday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 8, Methodist 1
Site/Venue: Ashland, Va./Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park
Records: R-MC 14-3, MU 15-4
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets started the scoring in the second. Sophomore Aaron Lautenschlager (Purcellville, Va./Loudoun Valley) had a one-out triple down the right field line and came home on a long sacrifice fly to center by sophomore Chaz Harvey (Charlottesville, Va./Miller School) to make it 1-0.
- Stanley made his first start of the season and tossed three scoreless innings with two hits, no runs, no walks and six strikeouts.
- RMC put up a crooked number in the third. Junior Grayson Bush (Charlottesville, Va./Monticello) drew a one-out walk and scored on a double to left by Iannuzzi to double the lead at 2-0. Junior Myles Webb (Norfolk, Va./Granby) belted a two-run homer to left, his third long ball of the season, to put the Yellow Jackets on top 4-0.
- The Yellow Jackets added to their lead in the sixth. Harvey had a one-out single and went to second on a base hit by senior Carter Johnson (Southampton, Va./Southampton). After a double steal, freshman Nathan Chen (South Riding, Va./Freedom) delivered a sacrifice fly to plate Harvey and make it 5-0. Bush had a single to knock in Johnson and Bush came home on a double by junior Richie Dudley (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) as RMC went up 7-0.
- Lawler replaced Stanley on the mound and did not allow a run in four innings with four hits, one walk and two strikeouts.
- After the Monarchs scratched for a run in the top of the eighth, RMC answered in the bottom of the frame. Chen had a leadoff single, stole second, went to third on a base hit by Iannuzzi and scored on a sacrifice fly by Dudley to make the final 8-1.
By The Numbers
- Iannuzzi went 3 for 4 with a walk, one run and one RBI. He extended his hitting streak to 14 games and his on-base streak to 17 games.
- Dudley and Webb both knocked in two runs.
- Webb had reached base in all 17 games this season.
- Harvey went 2 for 3 with one run and one RBI.
- Bush was 1 for 2 with two walks, two runs and one RBI. He extended his on-base streak to 13 games.
For The Record
- The Yellow Jackets are 13-0 when scoring six or more runs.
- RMC is 10-0 when hitting at least one home run.
- The Yellow Jacket pitching staff matched its season high with 12 strikeouts.
- RMC has played three nationally-ranked teams this season and is 3-0 in those contests.
R-MC will travel to Hampden-Sydney on Wednesday, March 22 for a 3:30 p.m. ODAC contest.