Posted: Mar 22, 2023
HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, Va. – Sophomore Aaron Lautenschlager (Purcellville, Va./Loudoun Valley) reached base four times by going 3 for 3 and being hit by a pitch as the 13th-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team dropped a 7-3 ODAC decision at Hampden-Sydney on Wednesday afternoon.
Score: Hampden-Sydney 7, Randolph-Macon 3
Site/Venue: Hampden-Sydney, Va./Ty Cobb Ballpark – Wurdeman Stadium
Records: RMC 14-4, 3-2 ODAC; HSC 10-8, 4-1 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Tigers tallied one in the bottom of the first but stranded a pair. The Yellow Jackets responded in the top of the second. Lautenschlager singled to left and went to second on a base hit to center by senior Carter Johnson (Southampton, Va./Southampton). Lautenschlager went to third on a fielder's choice by freshman Nathan Chen (South Riding, Va./Freedom). Senior Logan Smith (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) doubled to center to drive in Lautenschlager and Chen to make it 2-1. Junior Grayson Bush (Charlottesville, Va./Monticello) singled to center to plate Smith and give RMC a 3-1 advantage.
- HSC scored four in the second, one in the fourth and one in the seventh to make the final 7-3.
By The Numbers
- Johnson went 2 for 4.
- Smith went 1 for 3 with a double, a walk, a run and two RBI. He is the ninth different Yellow Jacket to have multiple RBI in a game.
- Bush was 1 for 3 with a walk. He extended his on-base streak to 14 games.
- Senior Hunter Cole (Norfolk, Va./Granby) was 1 for 5 with a triple.
- Senior Ethan Iannuzzi (Chesterfield, Va./Cosby) went 1 for 5 with a double. He extended hit hitting streak to 15 games and his on-base streak to 18 games.
- Freshman lefty Connor McAuley (Haymarket, Va./Highland) tossed two scoreless innings with two strikeouts.
For The Record
- The Yellow Jackets are 1-4 when scoring five runs or less.
- RMC is 1-3 when surrendering more than five runs.
R-MC will travel to Guilford for an ODAC doubleheader on Saturday, March 25 at noon.