Posted: May 20, 2023
BALTIMORE, Md. – Senior Hunter Cole (Norfolk, Va./Granby) had a double, a homer, two walks and three runs in the second game as the 20th-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team ended its season on Day 2 of the Baltimore Regional in the 2023 NCAA Championship.
Scores: Game 1: #1 Johns Hopkins 10, #20 Randolph-Macon 3
Game 2: St. John Fisher 10, #20 Randolph-Macon 9
Site/Venue: Baltimore, Md./Babb Field
Records: RMC 32-15, JHU 41-4, SJFC 32-13
How It Happened Game 1:
- The top-ranked Blue Jays plated two in the top of the first before the Yellow Jackets responded in the third. Junior Matt Myers (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley) had a leadoff single, moved to second on a base hit by sophomore Chaz Harvey (Charlottesville, Va./Miller School), was sacrificed to third by junior Grayson Bush (Charlottesville, Va./Monticello) and scored on a groundout by Cole to make it 2-1.
- JHU put up five in the top of the fourth and RMC put up a crooked number in the bottom of the frame. Senior Carter Johnson (Southampton, Va./Southampton) had a leadoff homer, his second of the season, to make it 7-2. Junior Myles Webb (Norfolk, Va./Granby) singled and came home on a sacrifice fly by Myers as the score moved to 7-3.
- The Blue Jays added two in the seventh and one in the eighth for a 10-3 win.
By The Numbers
- Webb went 3 for 4 with a double and a run. He is second on the team with 19 multi-hit games.
How It Happened Game 2:
- The Cardinals scored one in the bottom of the third before the Yellow Jackets got on the scoreboard in the sixth. Cole smacked a one-out homer, his team-leading 13th of the season, to knot the score at 1-1. Senior Ethan Iannuzzi (Chesterfield, Va./Cosby) singled and scored on a base hit by Webb as RMC took a 2-1 lead. Webb came home on a single by Harvey to extend the lead to 3-1.
- SJFC pulled within one in the bottom of the sixth before RMC answered in the seventh. Bush and Cole started the inning with walks and Bush scored on a single by Iannuzzi to make it 4-2. A sacrifice fly by Webb knocked in Cole as the Yellow Jackets took a 5-2 lead.
- The Yellow Jackets put up another crooked number in the eighth. Sophomore Lincoln Lubsen (Williamsburg, Va./Walsingham Academy) had a two-run homer, Johnson drew a bases-loaded walk and Cole scored on a wild pitch as RMC went up 9-2. SJFC scored six in the eighth and two in the ninth to pull out the 10-9 win.
By The Numbers
- Cole went 2 for 3 with a double, a homer, two walks and three runs.
- Lubsen had two hits with a homer and two RBI.
- Harvey went 3 for 5 with a double, a run and one RBI.
- Iannuzzi went 2 for 4 with one run and one RBI. He topped the team with 22 multi-hit games.
- Sophomore Aaron Lautenschlager (Purcellville, Va./Loudon Valley) had two hits.
- Johnson drew a walk and ended the season by reaching base in 31 straight games.