FREDERICK, Md. – Senior Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) led all scorers with 26 points as the top-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team defeated host Hood in the championship game of the MMI Tipoff Tournament.
Score: Randolph-Macon 84, Hood 63
Location/Venue: Frederick, Md./BB&T Arena
Records: R-MC 2-0, HC 1-1
How it Happened:
- The Blazers hit a three-pointer to start the scoring before layups by Anthony and junior Miles Mallory (Beltsville, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti) gave the Yellow Jackets a 4-3 lead four minutes into the contest. Another triple by HC made it 6-4 before sophomore Daniel Mbangue (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) had four points in a 12-2 run as R-MC took a 16-8 lead with 12 minutes left in the first period. A jumper by Mbangue gave the Yellow Jackets their first double-figure lead at 25-14 with 6:15 remaining. The Blazers closed to within nine at 27-18 before a three-pointer by Anthony capped a 7-0 spurt to close the half as R-MC went up 34-18. Anthony had 12 points to lead the Yellow Jackets. The R-MC defense held HC to 17% shooting from the floor (5-29).
- HC scored the first eight points of the second half before a layup by Mallory stopped the run and gave the visitors a 36-26 lead two minutes into the period. The Blazers trailed by seven at 40-33 before treys by Anthony and junior Loginn Norton (Chesterfield, Va./James River) capped a 9-1 run as the Yellow Jackets went up 49-34 with 13:40 remaining. Freshman Vincent Payne (Frederick, Md./St. Maria Goretti) nailed three triples in his return to his hometown as the lead grew to 20 at 63-43 with eight minutes left. R-MC maintained a double-digit lead the rest of the way. Anthony and freshman Can Dalli (Turkey/Perkiomen School) buried late treys to give the Yellow Jackets their largest lead at 84-61 before a pair of free throws by HC made the final 84-63.
By The Numbers:
- R-MC had three score in double figures. Along with 26 by Anthony, Mallory put in 16 and Payne added 11.
- The Yellow Jackets had a 40-20 edge on points in the paint.
- R-MC had 33 bench points compared to 18 by HC.
- The Yellow Jackets had a 37-24 advantage on the boards. Mbangue had a career-high 13 rebounds, including six on the offensive end. Mallory grabbed nine caroms.
- R-MC had six blocked shots, with two by both Mallory and Mbangue.
- Mbangue also led the team with a career-best four assists.
For The Record:
- The Yellow Jackets extended their win streak to 19 games.
- R-MC is now 3-0 all-time against Hood.
- The Yellow Jackets won the MMI Tipoff Tournament for the second time. R-MC captured the title in 2018 as well.
- Mallory was named the tourney MVP. Anthony was named to the All-Tournament Team. Both players are from the state of Maryland.
- Anthony has 1,461 career points, good for 14th on R-MC's all-time list.
- Anthony has 573 career assists and 188 career steals, both third on R-MC's all-time lists. He is four away from the program record for career steals at 192.
- R-MC will have its home opener on Wednesday, Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. against Mary Washington.