MARIETTA, Ohio – Senior Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) recorded his second double-double of the season with 15 points and 13 assists to lead the top-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team past No. 3 Marietta 82-74 on Saturday evening on Day 2 of the Great Lakes Invitational.
Score: Randolph-Macon 82, Marietta 74
Venue: Ban Johnson Arena
Records: R-MC 5-0, Marietta 2-2
How it Happened:
- Anthony had a three-pointer and a jumper as the Yellow Jackets took a quick 5-0 lead. The Pioneers hit a pair of threes to go up 6-5 three minutes into the contest. Senior Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) and sophomore Will Coble (Charlotte, N.C./Davidson Day) hit treys to cap a 13-2 spurt as R-MC went ahead 18-8 with 12:40 left in the first half. MC scored 10 straight to tie it before a layup by junior Miles Mallory (Beltsville, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti) ended the run and put the visitors on top 20-18 with 5:45 remaining. The Pioneers scored five in a row to take a three-point edge before sophomore Ben Cerrato (Haddonfield, N.J./Haddonfield Memorial) had a steal and layup to make it a one-point game at 23-22. MC hit a free throw and sophomore Daniel Mbangue (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) made one of two from the foul line as R-MC trailed 24-23 at intermission.
- Senior David Funderburg (Greensboro, N.C./Northwest Guilford) had a follow, while Cerrato hit a three-pointer and a layup as R-MC scored the first seven points of the second half to go up 30-24 with 17:40 remaining. A triple by the Pioneers cut the deficit to three before a three-point play by junior Josh Talbert (Virginia Beach, Va./Kellam) sparked an 8-2 spurt as the Yellow Jackets took a 38-29 advantage with 15:25 left. MC cut the deficit to three at 52-49 before two layups by Mallory were sandwiched around a Pioneer free throw, and Robertson nailed a trey for a 59-50 lead with 6:25 remaining. MC had a trey and a deuce to pull within four before a layup and free throw by Robertson plus two free throws from Talbert made it 64-55 with 4:15 left. A tough jumper by Anthony capped a 7-3 spurt as the Yellow Jackets took a 71-60 lead with 2:35 remaining. Mallory went 6 for 6 from the free throw line in the final 1:20, and Cerrato had a dunk at the buzzer to make the final 82-74 in favor of the Yellow Jackets.
By The Numbers:
- The Yellow Jackets had four players score in double figures. Robertson had a season-high 20 points, while Mallory added 16, Anthony with 15 and Talbert tallied 11.
- Robertson went 7 for 12 from the floor and 5 for 10 from beyond the arc.
- R-MC went 20 for 24 from the free throw line (83.3%).
- Mallory paced R-MC with nine rebounds.
For The Record:
- The Yellow Jackets extended their win streak to 22 games.
- Mallory had one block to give him 109 for his career, the sixth-highest total in program history.
- Anthony had one steal to give him 195 for his career, the top total in program history.
- Anthony has 1,524 career points, the 10th highest total in program history.
- Anthony has 603 career assists, third on R-MC's all-time list. Anthony is the first player in program history to amass 1,500 career points and 600 assists.
- R-MC will head to Newport News next weekend for the CNU Classic. The Yellow Jackets will meet No. 24 New Jersey City on Saturday, Nov. 27 at 2 pm. R-MC will face host Christopher Newport on Sunday, Nov. 28 at 4 pm.