Posted: Feb 24, 2023
ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon men's lacrosse team played host to Whittier on Friday night for their second game in two days and the final game of the three-game home stand to start the season. The Yellow Jackets poured on 22 goals to grab the home win and move to 2-1 on the season.
Score: Randolph-Macon 22, Whittier 13
Venue: Ashland, Va./Randolph-Macon College/Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (2-1, 0-0 ODAC), Whittier (0-2, 0-0 CSIAC)
How It Happened
- The Poets scored two goals in 33 seconds to open the scoring before Jack Smith (Stevensville, Md./DeMatha) got the Yellow Jackets on the board. Whittier added one more goal to go up 3-1 before RMC scored the next four in less than two minutes, including two from Bubba Bowen (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) taking a 5-3 lead. The Poets added two more at the end of the frame to tie it at five.
- Both teams scored a goal to open the second, before RMC went on a 5-1 run to end the half, with Smith and Austin Payne (Charlottesville, Va./Western Albemarle) each tallying their second of the night. RMC led 11-7 at the half.
- The scoring didn't stop there. RMC extended the run to 10-1 after five straight goals to open the second half. Smith and Payne each notched their hat trick goals, with Payne adding another to close the run, giving him four on the night. Whittier stopped the run by scoring two goals to end the third, down 16-9.
- Another scoring run for the Yellow Jackets came at the beginning of the fourth, extending the lead to 20-9 after four straight goals. One from Jack Smith and a man-up goal by Payne started the run, capped off by Tyler Dyson (Culpeper, Va./Liberty) getting his first career goal and Connor Cadigan (Phoenix, Md./Boys Latin School) notching his first of the year. Logan Sinsebox (Monkton, Md./Hereford) tallied the final two goals for RMC as they closed out a 22-13 win over the Poets.
By The Numbers
- Austin Payne led the way with five goals on the night, coupled with one assist. He also added two ground balls and a caused turnover.
- Jack Smith kept his scoring pace, netting four goals after a five-goal night on Wednesday. Along with his four goals, he also had five assists as well as four ground balls.
- Bubba Bowen posted his third straight hat trick to start the year, with three goals and an assist on the night.
- RMC had three players with two goals. Logan Sinsebox, Jamie Smith (Roanoke, Va./Patrick Henry), and Kevin Andrews (Fallston, Md./St. Paul's School) all had two goals each.
- Brodie Kent (Coquitlam, Canada/Centennial) picked up nine ground balls, followed by five from Cooper Hauser (Charlottesville, Va./Monticello). Brodie Kent also caused six turnovers.
- RMC got goals from 10 different players on the night out of their 22 total goals.
- The Yellow Jackets forced 30 turnovers by the Poets, and also picked up 39 ground balls to their 35.
- RMC dominated the shot count, totaling 54 shots to the Poets' 37.
Randolph-Macon will travel to Christopher Newport on Wednesday for a 4:00 p.m. matchup.