Posted: Mar 04, 2023
ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon men's lacrosse team met Misericordia on Day Field for a Saturday matinee in Ashland. A 10-goal fourth quarter lifted RMC to a 19-12 win over the Cougars to improve to 3-2 on the year.
Score: Randolph-Macon 19, Misericordia 12
Venue: Ashland, Va./Randolph-Macon College/Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (2-2, 0-0 ODAC), Misericordia (2-1, 0-0 MAC Freedom)
How It Happened
- RMC started strong, notching the first three goals of the game, beginning with Ryan Pritchard (Crofton, Md./DeMatha) scoring the first of his three on the day with a man-up goal. The Cougars clawed their way back with three straight before RMC stopped the run with another Pritchard goal.
- Misericordia's defense shut down the Yellow Jackets in the second frame, outscoring RMC 3-1 in the quarter, taking a 6-5 lead into halftime. The lone Yellow Jackets goal came from Cameron Foti (Annandale, Va./Annandale).
- MU opened the second half with two straight goals to extend their lead to three, but then RMC flipped the switch, led off by Austin Payne (Charlottesville, Va./Western Albemarle) beginning a 3-0 run to tie the game.
- The fourth quarter was the best we've seen all year, as seven different Yellow Jackets scored a goal, with Payne, Bubba Bowen (Arnold, Md./Broadneck), and Jack Smith (Stevensville, Md./DeMatha) each netting two goals in the quarter. RMC poured in 10 goals in the frame, to break the game open, winning 19-12.
By The Numbers
- RMC had eight different players net goals in the game. Bowen, Payne, Pritchard, and Smith all had hat tricks with Smith netting four.
- Jack Smith also had three assists on the day to lead the Yellow Jackets.
- RMC piled up 63 shots on the day, with 36 on target.
- JD Spotts (Richmond, Va./Collegiate) was dominant on faceoffs, winning 23 of his 30, and picking up 11 ground balls. RMC as a team went 25-34 on faceoffs.
- The Yellow Jackets also went perfect on clear attempts, going 16-16.
Randolph-Macon will travel to Washington College on Wednesday for a 7:00 p.m. game.