Posted: Mar 15, 2023
ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon men's lacrosse team returned home for the final time of the month on Wednesday for a midweek matchup with McDaniel on Day Field. The Yellow Jackets made a defensive stand in the final minute of the game to edge the Green Terror 10-9.
Score: Randolph-Macon 10, McDaniel 9
Venue: Ashland, Va./Randolph-Macon College/Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (4-3, 0-0 ODAC), McDaniel (5-2, 0-0 Centennial)
How It Happened
- The Green Terror opened the game with a goal just 30 seconds in, but the Yellow Jackets answered with a goal by Ethan Robinette (Charlotte, N.C./Providence Day) to get RMC on the board. The two teams traded goals in the first, as McDaniel grabbed the lead at the end of the first, leading 3-2.
- The Green Terror extended their lead to two after opening the second quarter with a goal, but once again, RMC answered with Austin Payne (Charlottesville, Va./Western Albemarle) scoring his second goal of the game. After McDaniel added another, RMC scored the final three goals of the half, all within 1:12 of each other, including Bubba Bowen (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) giving the Yellow Jackets the lead with nine seconds to go before half, 6-5.
- The Green Terror scored three of the first four goals of the second half, but the Yellow Jackets regained the lead with two straight goals. Bubba Bowen scored late once again, giving RMC a boost with a goal with 12 seconds remaining in the quarter to give RMC a 9-8 lead.
- The defense locked down in the fourth, as RMC extended the lead with Bowen's third goal of the game with eight minutes to go. McDaniel added a goal to cut the lead to one with 4:39 to play.The Green Terror got the ball back with 1:18 to play and the Yellow Jackets defense came up with a stop to get the win, 10-9.
By The Numbers:
- Bubba Bowen registered his fifth hat trick of the season, pushing his season total to 17 goals. He also added an assist in the game.
- Mike Allen (Williamsburg, Va./Jamestown) led the defensive efforts in a tight game, causing five turnovers and picking up three ground balls in a stellar effort.
- RMC's 10 goals came from seven different players.
- Riley Rayne (Berlin, Md./Stephen Decatur) also had a great game defensively, grabbing four ground balls and causing one turnover.
- Ryan Pritchard (Crofton, Md./DeMatha) set up three goals for RMC with assists, nearly matching his season total heading into the game.
- Owen Gucwa (Raleigh, N.C./Cardinal Gibbons) had 14 saves to also help the defensive efforts for the Yellow Jackets.
Randolph-Macon will travel to ODAC rival Hampden-Sydney on Saturday for a 1:00 p.m. game.