Posted: Sep 03, 2022
ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon Field Men's Soccer team opened the season in dominant fashion against Southern Virginia on Saturday. R-MC came alive in the second half to earn their first victory of the season.
Score: Randolph-Macon 4, Southern Virginia 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Virginia/Randolph-Macon College/Nunnally Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (1-0-0, 0-0-0 ODAC), Southern Virginia (0-1-1, 0-0-0 USA South)
How it Happened
- Senior Midfielder Max Radosavljevic (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Cumberland Valley) opened the scoring just nine and a half minutes into the game, which was the only tally in the first half for either side.
- The Yellow Jackets put the pressure on in the second half. Southern Virginia buried a penalty kick in the 63rd minute but the tie was short lived as R-MC opened it up with three goals beginning with Senior Bryce Martin (Chesterfield, Va./Middletown) shooting one past SVU's Sean Gutzman to re-gain the lead.
- Senior Midfielder Colton Howell (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) and Junior Forward Chazz Jones (Trenton, NJ/Trenton Catholic Academy) made good on their late shot attempts just 2:20 apart to stretch the lead out to three.
Inside the Numbers
- Four different goal scorers for R-MC included Radosavljevic, Martin, Howell, and Jones.
- A quiet day for Sophomore Goalkeeper Adam Braithwaite (Chesterfield, Va./Matoaca) as he saw just one shot on goal but picks up the win.
R-MC will be right back at Nunnally Field for a contest against Eastern Connecticut State Sunday, Sept. 4 at 7:00 PM.