Posted: Sep 09, 2022
ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon Men's Soccer team hosted their third home match of the season Friday night against an unfamiliar foe. The Yellow Jackets struck early and never looked back, taking home the victory.
Score: Randolph-Macon 2, Wisconsin-Lutheran 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Virginia/Randolph-Macon College/Nunnally Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (3-0-1, 0-0 ODAC), Wisconsin-Lutheran (2-1-0, 0-0 NACC)
How it Happened
- WLC got on the board first, with a great give-and-go from two Warriors forwards to open the scoring thirteen minutes into the match.
- After being awarded a corner kick, Sophomore Forward Teddy Westervelt curled it into the far corner past the WLC keeper for the first Yellow Jacket goal of the evening.
- Westervelt wasted no time finding the back of the net for the second time of the match, this time after Senior Midfielder Colton Howell sliced through the defense to set up the Westervelt goal six minutes after his first tally.
- A defensive second half saw a few chances, including hat trick opportunities by Westervelt, but both goalkeepers held strong to keep the score at 2-1.
- Sophomore Goalkeeper Adam Braithwaite came up with a lead-saving save with just under two minutes remaining to secure the win.
Inside the Numbers
- The Yellow Jackets outshot the Warriors 16-15. This marks the fourth time in as many games that R-MC has been able to outshoot their opponent. Their season advantage sits at 88-33.
- Teddy Westervelt added two goals to his great week. He has three goals in the last two matches.
- Braithwaite stopped five shots en route to his third victory of the young season.
- Colton Howell added much needed offensive pressure on the Warriors defense.
- Freshman Forward Zachary Richards and Sophomore Forward Landon Borum provided a spark off the bench for R-MC.
- Senior Midfielder Max Radosavljevic and Senior Defenseman Elijah Lloyd led the efforts on the defensive side of the ball allowing only 6 shots on goal.
Randolph-Macon will be back to Nunnally Field on Wednesday night at 7 PM for a contest against Catholic.