Posted: Sep 14, 2022
ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon Men's Soccer team hosted a tough non-conference matchup with Catholic on Wednesday night. The Cardinals rode three goals en route to victory in Ashland.
Score: Catholic 3, Randolph-Macon 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Randolph-Macon College/Nunnally Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (3-1-1, 0-0 ODAC), Catholic (3-0-2, 0-0 Landmark)
How it Happened
- The R-MC held off a strong push from the Cardinals early in the first half to keep the match scoreless.
- In the 37th minute, Catholic scored on their first shot on goal, a deep shot from Domenic Caltabiano to open the scoring.
- The Yellow Jackets came out of the halftime break with the advantage, winning the time of possession advantage early, but great saves by the Cardinals goalkeeper kept R-MC off the board.
- The Cardinals added a couple goals in the second half to extend their lead despite R-MC pressuring the defense.
Inside the Numbers
- R-MC outshot the Cardinals 13-12 and had eight shots on goal to their five.
- Sophomore forward Landon Borum (Moseley, Va./Clover Hill) led the way with two shots on goal.
- Borum along with junior forward Hawkins Adcock (Chester, Va./Thomas Dale) and freshman forward Zach Richards (Virginia Beach, Va./Landstown) provided an offensive spark for R-MC.
- Freshman defenseman Cole Isaacs (Weddington, NC/Weddington) in his first career start alongside junior defenseman Kwadjo Tannor (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) provided a strong back wall for the defense.
Randolph-Macon will be back in action on Saturday, Sept. 17 at Regent at 6:00 p.m. before returning to Nunnally Field next Wednesday for a 4:00 p.m. contest with ODAC opponent Hampden-Sydney.