Posted: Sep 24, 2022
ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon men's soccer team hit the road for an ODAC contest against Lynchburg on Saturday night. The Hornets took the victory after jumping out to an early lead.
Score: Lynchburg 4, Randolph-Macon 1
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./University of Lynchburg/Schellenberger Field
Records: Lynchburg (4-0-4, 1-0-0 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (5-2-1, 1-1-0 ODAC)
How it Happened
- The Hornets opened the scoring with back-to-back goals within a minute of each other to grab the lead in the 17th minute.
- Sophomore forward Yoni Ramirez (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) got R-MC right back into the match with a goal on an assist from senior defenseman Elijah Lloyd (Roanoke, Va./North Cross) just a couple minutes before the halftime break.
- Lynchburg added onto their lead with goals in the 55th minute as well as the 90th minute to sure up the win.
Inside the Numbers
- Freshman goalkeeper Zach Fontenot (Palmyra, Va./Fluvanna County) entered the game in the 23rd minute and tallied six saves in his second appearance of the season.
- Ramirez knocked in his first goal of the season and third of his career after finding the back of the net at the end of the first half.
- Lloyd's assist on the Ramirez goal was his first of the season, matching his total from each of the past two seasons.
- Junior defenseman Kwadjo Tannor (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) provided strong defense, keeping R-MC in the game.
Randolph-Macon will be back in action on Wednesday for a ODAC matchup with Virginia Wesleyan in Virginia Beach at 6:00 p.m.