Posted: Oct 01, 2022
ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon men's soccer team hosted ODAC foe Randolph at Nunnally Field as a part of Family Weekend at R-MC. The WildCats used a trio of goals to power past the Yellow Jackets.
Score: Randolph 3, Randolph-Macon 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Randolph-Macon College/Nunnally Field
Records: Randolph (5-2-2, 2-1-1 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (5-3-2, 1-2-1 ODAC)
How it Happened
- The first 30 minutes of play were filled with minimal chances in the wet conditions, but as the weather cleared up, the scoring opened.
- The WildCats were the first on the board as Cooper Sayles came off the bench and netted the opening goal of the afternoon.
- Randolph took the lead into halftime and deep into the second half, as they added another goal just 14 minutes into the second frame.
- R-MC showed fight, as Zach Richards (Virginia Beach, Va./Landstown) took a deflection and put it into the back of the net to cut the lead to one. Kwadjo Tannor (Midlothian, Va. Midlothian) was the facilitator, bringing it down in front and dishing it off to Richards.
- Randolph added one more goal late to seal the victory, as late efforts for the Yellow Jackets fell short.
Inside the Numbers
- The Yellow Jackets won majority of the stat categories, outshooting the WildCats 17-16 overall and having four corner kicks to Randolph's two.
- Zach Richards netted his second goal of the season and his first since a 4-0 win over Mary Baldwin on Sept. 7.
- Tannor's assist on that goal was his first of the season and second of his career.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Adam Braithwaite added six saves, including some key stops to keep R-MC in the game.
Randolph-Macon will be back in action on Wednesday, Oct. 5 for a 7 p.m. ODAC matchup with Eastern Mennonite at Nunnally Field in Ashland.