ASHLAND, Va. – Sophomore pitcher Gracie Ellis (New Kent, Va./New Kent) tossed two complete game shutouts in the regional final against Swarthmore on Saturday to capture the Yellow Jackets' second consecutive regional title.
Scores: Randolph-Macon 4, Swarthmore 0 Randolph-Macon 3, Swarthmore 0
Location: Ashland, Va./Randolph-Macon College/RMC Softball Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (42-9, 17-3 ODAC), Swarthmore (26-18, 8-8 Centennial)
How it Happened (Game 1):
- After a great offensive day yesterday, RMC kept the momentum in the top of the first in game one today. Amanda Lanyon (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) and Naomi Sadler (Emporia, Va./Brunswick) began the top of the first with two-straight singles. The inning snowballed into four runs, the final two coming on a two-run single by Jessica Pittman (Virginia Beach, Va./Kempsville) to give RMC a 4-0 lead after one inning.
- The Yellow Jackets threatened again in the second inning, getting the bases loaded after a hit and two walks, but the runners were stranded to keep the score 4-0.
- RMC stranded another two runners in the top of the fourth and the Garnet got their first hit of the game in the bottom half of the inning, but also stranded a pair.
- After the Yellow Jackets stranded the bases loaded again in the fifth inning, Gracie Ellis shut down the Garnet the rest of the way to complete the shutout.
By the Numbers (Game 1):
- Gracie Ellis dominated in the circle, throwing a complete game shutout, striking out eight while allowing just one hit and didn't walk a batter.
- Three Yellow Jackets hitters had multi-hit games. Amanda Lanyon was the table-setter at the top of the order, getting two hits in four at bats while also stealing two bases and scoring a run.
- Naomi Sadler also had two hits in the game. She also walked once and scored a run in the first inning.
- Jessica Pittman came up with the big two-run single in the first as a part of her two-hit game.
How it Happened (Game 2):
- It was once again the first inning that the bats came alive for RMC. Amanda Lanyon led off the inning with a double and was scored by a Kayla Davis (Powhatan, Va./Powhatan) single. The rally kept going as another run was walked in and then Reagan Hill (Hanover, Va./Hanover) singled home another to make the lead 3-0 after one inning.
- Gracie Ellis was rolling through the Garnet lineup again as the bats tried to put more runs on the board but were halted with the bases loaded in the third inning.
- Swarthmore finally got something going in the sixth inning, getting the bases loaded with two outs but Ellis got the batter to pop up to second base to end the threat.
- The Garnet got two runners aboard again in the seventh with one out, but a strikeout and a groundout sealed it for the Yellow Jackets, winning the regional.
By the Numbers (Game 2):
- Eight Yellow Jackets got hits in the game. No players had more than one hit in an all-around effort by the offense.
- Gracie Ellis finished her dominant day with a complete game shutout, striking out four batters and allowing six hits. Her performance earned her the Regional Most Outstanding Player nod.
- Amanda Lanyon, Naomi Sadler, Jessica Pittman, and Kayla Davis all had a hit today with Lanyon's being a double. The four players also were awarded with all-tournament team nods.
- Reagan Hill had a big RBI single in the first inning that capped the rally for RMC as they took momentum.
For the Record:
- With the win in game one today, RMC set the single season program record for wins in a season with 41. They extended that number to 42 in game two.
- Randolph-Macon clinched their second consecutive super regional berth. They look to make their second college world series appearance in program history.
Randolph-Macon will await the rest of the regionals to wrap up games to find out who, when, and where they will be playing Super Regionals this coming weekend. Stay tuned to rmcathletics.com for schedule updates.